𝐗𝐈.

Chapter XI.
Familial Affairs

Irina blinked the sleep from her eyes, debating with herself whether or not she should even wake up

She had a late night after all. What with her putting Igor to bed and exploring the dungeons.

The typical day for a Ravkan princess, she thought sarcastically. 

It was too late. The curtains of her chambers were pulled open, the sunlight hitting her closed eyelids. Letting out a groan, she attempted to adjust to the brightness of the room. 

When she had fully woken up, she strode over to her bath, pushing open the door to see her tub filled with warm water. 

After dismissing her maids, she slipped out of her clothes and entered the tub quickly. Taking a sponge, she rubbed at her body, focusing on her hands which were still stained with dirt from the previous night. 

The smell of rose water and soap almost made her forget the smell of blood in the dungeons. 

Almost. But not quite. 

Holding her breath, Irina closed her eyes as she fully submerged herself in the water. She reveled in the silence, trying to forget the screams, pleads, and threats.

Saints, how did she get in that position?

Her head emerged from the water making her breathe deeply, trying to catch as much air as she could. It was a good reminder that she was alive, still alive. 

It did not matter that she had not expected things to change so quickly. 

Speaking to Aleksander made her understand. It was more than just about her discovering the limits of her abilities, but also for Grisha all around Ravka. 

Now was not the time to be selfish. It is a new world, which means things could change. 

Upon noticing how cold the water was, Irina stepped out of the tub and put on her robe. Grabbing her discarded clothes, her eyes widened at how dirty they had become from her dungeon traipsing. 

Deciding quickly, she threw them in the fireplace, watching as the flame nipped at the clothes slowly, until it became nothing but ash. 

A knock sounded upon her door just as she finished dressing in a simple blue gown. 

"Come in," Irina called out, turning in her seat. 

Her doors opened and she recognized the man who entered as one of her father's guards. "Your Highness, your father requests that you and your siblings join him to break your fast this morning."

"Very well. I shall be there." Irina nodded her head in thanks before speaking up once more. "Dima-I mean Dimitri, my guard, is he still in the infirmary?"

The guard's eyes widened as if he did not expect the princess to ask about a lowly guard. "Yes, I believe he is though I have heard he is making a speedy recovery. Do you want me to find out more?"