𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈.

Chapter XXXI.
Taste of Sweet Freedom

"Where are all the guards?" 

Irina couldn't help but ask, squinting her eyes to try to see through the darkness. Aleksander's hand was clutching hers tightly, not having the same difficulty as her. It was almost as if he had mapped out and memorized the palace itself. 

A small comfort was that she could hear Vasilka's paws scampering after the two of them. The cub showed signs of being able to see in the dark. A fortunate thing for all of them in case Aleksander lost his way.  

"They were blocking the doors to your chambers," Aleksander replied curtly, leading her to the direction of the main doors of the Grand Palace. Funny, her father had tried to lock her up inside yet they would be leaving through the front door.

She knew what that meant. That explained why her doors were left in shambles of wood dust and splinters. "Oh."

He squeezed her hand, his steps quickening. "I don't regret what I did. I'll do it all over again if it meant I could get to you. Do you understand?" 

"I do," She answered, keeping up with his long steps as they ran past various rooms that Irina had hidden in whilst playing games as a child. She would be leaving all of this behind. All of the memories, the gifts, the luxuries. All for an adventure and a fight she did not know if she could win. 

All of a sudden, he paused in his steps. "Don't block me out now, darling. Don't push me away. I'm right here with you. Are you still with me?" 

She nodded, his voice bringing enough clarity for her despite her eyes seeing nothing but darkness. She could only focus on his voice and the feeling of his hand that easily encompassed her smaller one. "I'm here with you, Aleks. I promise." 

He pulled her to his chest, pressing his lips to her temple. "We'll be alright." 

They continued on their way and Irina was sure that they had reached the way out when Vasilka began to growl. The cub let out a series of mewls and aggressive snarls. 

It was as if an evil force heard him speak too soon and decided to toy with their fate for at least a little while. 

The cub's warning seemed to be a tad too late as a single torch was lit. Then another. Another. Until the palace foyer was surrounded by a circle of torches, a palace guard for each of the torches. Behind them were more guards, like an endless terrain of soldiers. Ready to die for the sake of bringing them to their doom. 

Right in the middle was her, Aleksander, and Vasilka. It was as if they became a part of a grand ritual that would sacrifice them in honor of the flame. But the truth was, the guards were only there to subdue them and bring them back to the cage that they foolishly thought they had escaped. 

Aleksander pushed Irina behind him, raising his hands defensively. Vasilka roared loudly, her small mouth open and thirsty for blood. 

"Lord Kirigan, if I may, I must escort both you and the princess back to your respective chambers. It is late and I do not wish to cause any more destruction." A commander stepped forward, his lip quivering in fear yet his voice was strong and proud.