𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈𝐈.

Chapter XXXVIII.
The Past's Calling

To Irina, darkness was not an enemy

To Irina, darkness was not an enemy. It was a friend. 

Something that she had always welcomed in those moments where the light seemed too much. Sometimes, the light's warmth gave way to clarity and a wise way of thinking. However, there are those times when the light only causes blindness and an overwhelming conviction of truth. 

In those moments, darkness was a welcoming ally. The shadows calling to her like a siren's song to a sailor lost at sea. Or like a friend in times when it was the only thing left. 

It certainly felt that way in the middle of the tall trees. The sun had long set and the forest was covered in dark tendrils as if the roots of every elm tree extended beyond its reach. 

There was solace in being alone and not lonely. It had its consequences, no doubt. When your own thoughts kept you company and drowned you in its inner depths but it had its benefits. 

It had been a long time since she had been allowed to think as deeply as she currently was. After being on the run and having her mind fill with plans and worries about Aleksander and Vasilka, it was a good thing. 

With the amount of darkness surrounding her, Irina was sure that Aleksander had sent them to hide her, maybe. Even protect her from less than friendly eyes. He always recognized when she needed something and did his best to provide it for her. It was as if he knew what she was thinking even before she could begin to express it. 

She was thankful for him. But this was something that she needed to come to terms with herself. She had to be the one to remind herself of the reason why she began all of this. 

If there was no going back, then she would ensure that whatever future awaited them would be better than the past they left behind. 

Irina tucked her legs inwardly, embracing her knees and leaning her cheek upon them. Even so, she did not feel alone. She felt empowered. 

Her father was dead. Poisoned, they said. Only Oleg would benefit from his death, which meant that her conniving brother most probably had a hand in his murder. 

Her only focus now was Igor. Her littlest brother. Saints, she wondered how he was feeling. Especially after everything. She wondered if he was still innocent to all of this or if he had begun to be corrupted by Oleg's ambitions. 

If there was anyone who deserved to be far away from all of this, it was Igor. She wouldn't allow her little brother to be left alone, especially now. What they needed was for the truth to be exposed to the people of Ravka. 

The country can only begin to move forward if everyone was at the same pace. Should some be left behind, the country will surely not progress. They would be stuck in the past for all time. 

Irina stood from her perch, brushing off the dust from her skirt. She would not be able to make the changes both she and Aleksander wanted if she remained seated there until the moss came to eat her alive.