𝐋𝐈.

Chapter LI.
Two Souls

In a world with millions of souls, some are lucky to find companions

In a world with millions of souls, some are lucky to find companions. Friends. Family. Flings. Love. Passion. Adventure. Memories. People whose thread of destiny intertwines with theirs for at least a single second. 

Some souls are cursed to spend their lives alone and unhappy but there are some souls who cross paths and manage to keep some memories from those times they spend with another. However, there are those who are lucky enough to find that one soul they are destined to be with for the rest of their lives. 

Some meet the other half of their being very young, while some meet them at the edge of their lives. Even so, one is lucky enough to even glimpse the other half that would complete them. 

There was a famous philosopher who once said that every human being is born incomplete, that until they found the other being who completed them, they were cursed to wander the earth aimlessly. Yet once they find the half to complete them, they would be forever happy and content no matter the life they lived. 

Aleksander had once thought this to be a dreary and sorrowful way of thinking but after years of being alone, he could not help but think of himself as a cursed soul. Cursed with darkness. Cursed with death. Cursed by lonesome. Cursed by every possible ounce of sadness. 

He would have lived and died as he was. A murderer and a heretic. In a way, he may have already died. The little boy who had believed in happiness had passed. The boy cursed with immortality with half of himself missing, his heart long gone, and his humanity perished. 

That was most probably the reason why when he found Irina, he had been caught off guard. He was not expecting to care for someone as he did for her. He was not expecting to fall as he did for her. 

Now they were stood at the very precipice of the end. The end could mean many things. It could mean a change for a great many people but it could also mean the end of an empire. The only question was, which empire?

Knowing they did not have much time now, Aleksander decided that there was only one thing to do. One thing he could do. 

"Marry me."

Aleksander found that he quite liked the look of surprise on Irina's face as he said that. There was a certain appeal when her blue eyes would widen and her cheeks would get flushed, turning her pale face slightly pink. 

"W-what did you say?" Irina asked, her shock evident in how the map in front of her was now forgotten. 

They were currently the only two left in the war tent, the lamps burning dim and low. Everyone else had gone to bed after the eventful day. However the two could not sleep, their veins still thrumming with unspent energy and lingering power. 

Because of that, the two decided to stay in the war tent, going over their strategies and plans in a way that only the two of them could understand even with only a few words from the other. It was silent up until that moment when he broke it with two meaningful words.