CHAPTER 37

LEAVING IT ALL behind was the only thing she thought of. She can't be selfish and want to stay with Kairos when all she can bring him from here on out is burden. It's eating her up, maybe because deep inside she still doesn't believe that she deserves this and that even if she fights for it, tooth and nail she's going to blow it and he'll eventually get tired.

She still remembers that night when Kairos called his father, she hears the weariness in his tone and even if she can't see his face alam niyang pagod ang makikita niya nun. Gusto niyang umiyak nun pero hindi niya magawa, she can't let him be burdened by him more.

Alam niyang mali at inuunahan niya pero how can she make Kairos go through this? This might be a lifetime burden that she doesn't want Kairos or his family to bear with her. She can't be the partner he deserves.

Over the past few days ay pinlano niya ang gagawin niya. It's going to be hard but it's gonna be freedom for everybody else. Kaya naman niyang mabuhay uli ng mag-isa. She's done it before, she can do it again.

Before leaving ay iniwan niya ang engagement ring na binigay ni Kairos kalakip ng isang sulat at the back of her favorite photo of them. The ring was an heirloom, it deserves a person who can be the ideal partner for Kairos. He deserves more than what she is now.

Kairos,

I'm sorry that I have to say all of these to you through this letter. I'm sorry for all the times I made you worry and tired. You are the love of my life and I can't bear to see you waste your life away with me. I want you to be happy and free, not stuck with me like I am to a wheelchair. I promised you before that I will stay by your side for as long as I can and for as long as I am not a burden to you, but I am now. I don't want you to give up so many things just so you can take care of me. I can't live with that.

This is my favorite picture of us, please remember this Mikee instead, not me who's damaged and beyond repair. Live a happy life. I will love you always.

Mikee hired some people to take her to a distant province in Pangasinan. It wasn't a big town but she found the quiet quite interesting. The people are kind and friendly towards her. She managed to leave nang magpunta siya sa ospital kasama ang nurse niya. She had her nurse get something for her at doon na siya umalis. It took a while bago siya nakakuha ng mga tao para tulungan siya but she was eventually able to do so.

She was able to get a house and someone to look after her doon, patuloy din ang therapy niya and doctor's appointments. She wasn't happy with her life here one bit but this is better than making everyone suffer with her back home. She just needs to live out her life.

"Hija, mamamalengke lang muna ako ah. Ayos ka lang bang mag-isa dito?" Bungad sa kanya ni Aling Juana. Ito ang kasama niya dito sa bahay, tanggap naman kasi niya na she's basically useless alone.

"Opo, ayos lang ako. Mag-ingat po kayo." She smiled and the old lady left her.

Hilig niya dito sa likod bahay dahil kita niya ang dagat. She spends most of her time here just thinking. Iniisip niya kung kamusta na kaya ang mga tao sa Maynila. Is Kairos angry with her now? She can only imagine how he'd react, alam niyang magagalit ito but that'll pass, he'll get over her and it'll be a new chapter for him. Higit dalawang linggo na din kasi mula noong umalis siya dito. Iba din ang pagkakakilala sa kanya dito kaya alam niyang nakatago talaga siya.

Wala pang isang oras ay narinig niyang nagbukas ang pintuan sa harapan. Mabilis lang naman palang mamamalengke si Aling Juana, akala niya magtatagal kasi madalas ay dadaan pa ito sa kanila nago tuluyang bumalik. She didn't mind, it was alright.