𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝕰𝖎𝖌𝖍𝖙

"But do you think it's a good time to tell him? There's a chance he won't care about the pain and just want to kill me." River asks as we sit in the sun, both enjoying the nice weather on this beautiful Thursday.

"You have a better chance of escaping?" I guess as he sighs. "What did you do to make him not trust you with Brooke?" I ask.

"In high school I was a bit of a, well I guess you could say a man-whore." He admits with a small blush on his cheeks.

"I can see that." I tease as he rolls his eyes.

"I messed around with a few girls a week, I drank... a lot, I'd start fights." He says shamefully. He looks like he wants to continue so I just wait quietly until he does. "I don't even want to tell you this, you've become a really good friend and you might hate me for this."

"I won't hate you for anything River, just tell me." I say as I turn to look at him, shielding my eyes from the sun.

"I got a girl pregnant and disappeared." He says, swallowing hard and staring at the pool. "I was stupid and immature and I hate myself for it every day."

I lay on my side and frown as he looks over. "If you got Brooke pregnant, would you leave?" I ask. He shakes his head. "Then Kai shouldn't have to worry."

"But in his freaky mind-"

"River." I warn as he holds his hands up.

"In his different mind, I'm still that guy. The worst part is Brooke knows everything and she still loves me, even if I don't deserve it."

"I thought you guys only had a thing?" I ask curiously. He purses his lips and shakes his head.

"We've been dating for 4 years. We would flirt and stuff before that but it was kind of wrong since she was still 17 and I was 22. As soon as she turned 18 she actually asked me out and we started hanging out more."

I smile lightly. "If you were any other 22 year old flirting with a 17 year old I'd probably kill you, but you guys have clearly known each other for a long time and she trusts you." I say. He nods.

"Can I have your opinion on something?" He asks. I nod. "I want to ask her to marry me, but no one even knows we're dating and I can't stand the thought of asking her douchebag father."

My jaw drops as he tells me this. He looks over and laughs lightly as he pulls out a small box from his swim bag next to us. He opens it to reveal a beautiful diamond ring.

"That's gorgeous, you must really love her huh?" I ask. He nods. "Then I think you should do it. I don't like Cliff very much but it is respectful to ask her father."

"That's the thing though, she's told me before she hates the traditional things. Last year she told me if I ever asked anyone's permission for anything she would kill me because "she's not an object". But I feel like I should ask someone."

"Why don't you tell Kai? Tell him the truth and just hope he says yes." I say as he nods slowly.

"I don't care that he's still injured, he can move and that's all the reason he needs if he wants to kill me." He says. I nod. "You're coming with me."

"Fine, but if he tries to get up I can only distract him for so long." I say as we stand up, wrapping our towels around ourselves and heading inside.

We walk upstairs and I throw a long T-shirt on before knocking on Kai's door. I hear him mumble something before I open the door and smile at him.

"Hi." He says with a small smile as he pushes himself to sit up. "Is it nice out?" He asks as we walk in.

"It's beautiful, are you sure you don't want to come out?" I ask. He nods and points to his ribs.