Dancing Shadows.

Chapter 43

Harry's POV

I'm hot on Zayn's heels as he furthers himself into the darkness of the woods, not stopping until this is settled between us. He could fuck with me, threaten me, but he's out of his damn mind if he thinks I'm going to let him try to get to Noel.

Before he could even get his dick out, I have a tight grip on his jacket, spinning him around to face me.

Amused, as always, Zayn removes my hand. "Bit creepy, mate. Following someone who's gone take a piss. Don't tell me the rumors from when we were younger are true."

God, how I'd love to crack his fucking skull in the nearby oak.

"Listen, you're not playing very fairly. You want to win? Fine. You want your fucking grand? Fine. But stop fucking messing with the damn rules. Try fucking cheating again and I'll make you regret it. Leave her the fuck alone," I spit. I'm sick and tired of Zayn's bull. I built my bed by joining in on his game, and now I have to live in it, but there's no damn way I'm letting him cheat his way to victory.

"We used to be friends, ya know," Zayn surprises me with his answer. "Real mates. You've done let that girl ruin it, though. Why do ya care so much about her? Does beating Baylor mean that much to you? Or are you just really into getting a piece of ass?"

What a dumb fuck. Getting laid is the last thing on my mind, and yeah, at first this whole shit revolved around Baylor. But not anymore. Now it's about keeping Noel shielded from the mess I made and hopefully having her fall for me. Not for the lousy bet, but because I honestly can't imagine what my life will come to without her in it.

"Will you just fucking stay away? Until this shit is over, just let it play out. Got it?" I decide not to comment on his remarks about Baylor or Noel and simply get straight to the point.

Zayn smirks and tilts his head, as if he's considering my request. As if he has a choice. He nods, "I suppose I would be tampering with the finale. Wouldn't wanna mess that up."

I wanna question him. Squeeze his damn neck so tightly until he explains what he means by "finale" and all the other bullshit comments he's been making lately. But that'd ruin Noel's night and only bring in unnecessary drama, so I give him one last warning to back off before walking back over to the fire.

When I take my seat by Noel, her large eyes are filled with nothing but concern as she inspects me, scoping me out for any injuries or signs of discomfort.

"You okay?" she whispers to me, her breath fanning across my face and relaxing me. She's always my comfort.

I nod, not being able to share with her my real worries. That would mean telling her about the bet. And Zayn. And what he expects me to do to her. And that would involve losing her and fuck. Fuck, I just can't have her walking out of my life.

"I'm perfect," I smile and pull her closer to me, hoping to distract her from any ideas she's got running through that head of hers. She's so observant.

Time passes by and Zayn's stock of beer gets slimmer while the boy's words get sloppier and Noel's eyes get heavier, her head rested on my arm and her yawns growing more constant. Liam is the first one to announce him and Sophia's departure from the bonfire; everyone had noticed Liam sucking and licking at Sophia's neck, so it was really no surprise when she dragged him to their tent moments later. Everyone else seems to like the sound of that, because before I'm even registering it, it's only Noel and I by the dim, hardly there campfire.

Noel sits up from her practically laying position with a yawn, "Well that ended early."

I chuckle at how cute she is all sleepy and confused, "Ready to call it a night?"