Progression.

Chapter 29

Noel's POV

I turn off the hot water once the tub is filled before lowering myself in. The scorching water burns my skin when it makes contact, but I don't mind. It feels amazing as I lean back against the edge, resting my head on the tile wall. I watch the steam rise from the searing water before I close my eyes, finally feeling relaxed.

My mind and body settle as I sit in the tub. No phone calls from Lizzy, no phone calls from Harry, no phone calls from Ben. Nothing. The only sound being the ripples of the water as I shift my legs and my slow breathing. Along with the help of the cranberry candles lit around the room and the blazing water, the bath helps me forget. Only for a few precious minutes, but that's an accomplishment to me.

After washing my hair and body, I stay resting until the water becomes cold before reluctantly getting out and draining the tub. I wrap myself up in a towel and go into my room, my wet feet padding against the floor.

I actually missed being in this house. It felt like forever since I laid in my own sheets, in my own bed. I missed my books and my laptop. I missed the comfort of my room. It feels great to be alone. Usually, I'd give anything to get away from this home, known to me as prison, but at this moment, it has its perks. It's quiet and empty. I'm alone and happy about it for a change. It's peaceful and allows me to mope around without being disturbed.

I left Lizzy's house last night not long after Harry brought me back there. She and Ben begged me to stay, said I needed to be with them and they needed to make sure I didn't do anything stupid to myself. I left anyways. And I'm glad I did. I had to turn off my phone, of course, because they haven't stopped ringing me since. Neither has Harry.

I slip on an old t-shirt before crawling into my duvet, wrapping my bare legs in the warmth of the covers. I grab Pride and Prejudice from my side table and attempt to read my favorite novel. I reread the same paragraph over and over but don't comprehend a single word I read. My mind is jumbled again. Filled with thoughts of the video and Baylor and the thoughts of others and questions. Lots and lots of questions. I can't find an answer to any of them, though. One of them sticks out to me like a sore thumb, what have I done to deserve this?

I sigh and close my book. Not even Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth's love story could help me right now. I place the book back on its spot on the table and pull the duvet to under my chin, snuggling into it.

I try to think positive, be an optimistic person for a while to soothe myself of worries. It's only Thursday. We still have tomorrow and the weekend before we go back to school. People should've forgotten about it by then, right?

I let out a lingering breath, knowing the answer. I check the time, it's only 9:02. I have nothing better else to do, so I roll over, turn off the lamp, and fall asleep with a heavy heart.

Harry's POV

It's only fucking 9:02. Only 9:02 and the boys have a plan for us to stay up all night. I'm screwed.

Louis' dad went out of town to visit his girlfriend, so we have the house to ourselves. I didn't want to come, really, but Niall and Liam dragged me into it. Said we need 'mate time' when really, I just want alone time. Louis wanted to throw a huge party, but luckily we talked him out of it, so I can't really complain about a casual night with the boys, crashing at Louis'. It wouldn't be so bad if I would've got any bit of sleep last night, but I couldn't. My eyes are so damn heavy, but I don't want to be a downer and go to bed now when their fun has only just started. And according to Louis, sleep is for the weak.

I check my phone again, ignoring Louis and Niall's argument about which football team is better. Again, nothing. She hasn't texted me back, returned my calls, nothing. I don't even know where she is, more less if she's alright.