It All Comes Out in the Wash.

Chapter 41

Noel's POV

The room is smothering, tension intoxicating the air. Harry is a charging bull, about to attack at Baylor who seems to be painted red, edging Harry on. I'm stuck in the position of wondering whether I should hold him back, attempt to end the fight before it starts, or if I should let Harry give it to Baylor, let him have it for all the hell he's putting us through. Part of me knows that no matter what I do, it's inevitable. Baylor is dancing on Harry's last nerve and it won't be long before World War I takes place right in front of me.

Gemma's gaze hasn't met mine or her brother's. I don't feel an ounce of jealousy or betrayal to see her with my ex, instead I have this potent concern for her. Will Baylor hurt her like he did me? Or is he different with her? I have this gut feeling that Baylor being with Gemma is anything but a coincidence. It's feasibly an evil scheme he's created to get back at Harry and I. And it makes me absolutely sick to my stomach to see that he's dragged in people I care about into it.

I watch as the barrier that had been struggling to hold Harry back for those few short minutes crumble and he outbreaks further into the room, stopping at the couch and standing directly in front of Baylor, towering over him.

"Get the hell away from her," he seethes. "I mean it, get the fuck out and I swear I won't think twice about beating the shit out of you again if you dare to come back. And if you so much as touched-"

"H," Gemma silences his threats and promises. "I invited him here. He can stay."

I watch Harry snap, the last bit of him breaking. He starts pacing over the squeaky floorboards and running his hands through his curls. I'm frightened of what will come next. Baylor's smirk that's directed towards me says that it won't be pretty.

"What do you...Gemma, what do you mean you invited him?" Harry talks slow, his voice trembling, trying not to explode on his sister.

"She means what she said," Baylor stands to meet Harry's height, failing by a few inches. I watch Harry's fists clinch, shaking with pure fury.

I hear the stairs squeak near me, and I turn to see B. Confusion and worrisome are etched on his features. My heart swells for the young boy and I lower myself to his level. He asks what's happening, but I don't answer. I don't know what to answer him exactly. I've pulled this whole family into my messy life and I'm unsure how to fix it all.

I take a seat with Brently on the last step of the staircase and he leans into my side. I listen as Harry and Baylor argue back and forth, screaming at each other. I'm on edge, waiting for the ticking bomb that is Harry to explode.

"Why can't you just leave her the fuck alone? This is all about Noel. That's all this has ever been about. You're a damn psycho who needs to get a life. It's over between you two and you're absolutely mad if you think you'll play this shit on my sister again."

Again. The word rests heavily in the air, weighing me down. Again? Baylor's done something to Gemma before? The questions and curiosity are getting the best of me. I send B upstairs and return to the scene that's being held in the living room.

"What Gemma and I have has nothing to do with you or Noel." Baylor says, he and Harry face to face.

Gemma looks over at me from across the room but quickly looks back at her lap.

"Bullshit," Harry spits. "I know what you're doing; I'm not stupid. And I will not put up with it. Now get the fuck out," he growls and shoves Baylor.

Gemma is quick to her feet, "Harry, if Noel can come over, so can Baylor. We've been hiding for weeks now but it's not fair. This is how it's gonna be, and I'm sorry if you can't accept that," she takes Baylor's hand in her own.