Chapter 15

Obstacle Course Race - Age Sixteen

Midnight rings the bell, the race begins before anyone has the chance to exhale their holder breaths. Todoroki, not bothering to hesitate, covers the tunnel in ice before shooting out of it, taking first place immediately.

He leaves a tight squeeze in his wake, all students attempt to shove each other forward, each one desperate to make a start. Though, they can't seem to move an inch as their feet are stuck to the ground with thick ice.

My head tilts to the side as I watch the half and half boy's figure gain distance as he sprints forward, barely sparing a glance back.

Little cheater.

A mountain of panicked students all claw at one another, eager to begin. An explosion blurs all ears as it echoes down the tunnel, propelling Bakugou out of the tunnel and into second, a few other students dragging along behind the front runners.

My eyes narrow, my fingers barely having enough space to flick against one another. I can see their spines, clouds of dust kicking off their feet as they sprint away from me. Almost like a primal instinct, I feel the need to chase them down, as though they're nothing but prey to me...

It takes less than a second for my quirk to activate. Once all thoughts of misplaced impulse subside, I teleport to the one at the front. Todoroki.

The boy takes a short lived glances to those behind him, unable to ignore the deafening yells of aggression from Bakugou as he slowly catches up. Leading to Shoto failing to see the newly teleported figure right in front of him as his head darts back to the other competitors.

My brows snap up, as I swivel my head, wondering why the half and half boy isn't beside me, he should be, I teleported right to him—

Todoroki's unprepared figure slams into mine at the exact moment our eyes meet one another. I scrunch my features up as we both topple to the ground, skidding across the course at the speed he'd slammed into me.

Neither of us have a moment to think as we both come to a halt, scratches clawed into any of our exposed skin, as we both dart our heads up to one another. I watch his expression turn from shocked, to driven in a matter of fleeting moments.

At the same moment in time, we both drag our eyes back to Bakugou, noticing that his scowl of pure malevolence is beginning to close in on us at an alarming rate.

I wince, shoving myself off the ground, my knee skids against the gravel as I clamber up to my feet, immediately sprinting into first place. I expect to have left Shoto behind, but as I hear pants to my left, I come to notice that he must've had the same spur of adrenaline I had.

We're neck and neck for a moment... until we aren't. My brows furrow down as I watch Shoto's figure gain pace, his feet reach a further distance than mine, his physicality is stronger than mine...

How are you faster than me?

Cuz' you're running without me.
Fucking idiot.

My eyes widen, sweat begin to dot across my skin as I activate my quirk, directing strength into my legs to propel me forward. Shoto and I take turns it seems, pushing past one another. He takes the lead, then I do, then he does, over and over- Until...

Cracking out from the earth below our feet, enormous robots begin to crank into their own bodies, soon narrowing their light-covered heads down to us. Churning into action, the metal beasts reach down to us, their fists tripling the size of All Might's figure as they aim to crush our bodies into the dirt.