Chapter 18

Day Off - Age Sixteen

After the Sports Festival, every class in UA had been rewarded with a day to rest after all their hard work. And I awoke the morning of, with my eyes crusted shut and dried up drool on my cheek.

It took nearly two hours for me to convince myself out of bed. I could hear the landline ringing in the kitchen all the while I lay on my mattress, staring at my ceiling. The neighbours upstairs arguing did little to brighten my spirit.

Regardless, I made it out of bed eventually. And now I have all day alone with my thoughts, to just sit and think about every fucking thing like it's my job to do so. I have always said that any room can be a panic room if you just give me a minute. And I'm sure I'll prove myself right at some point today.

A stressed sigh of cliche regret passes my lips as I raise the tv controller to switch on, hoping that it might distract me from the impending impact of the consequences I've brought down on myself. Maybe if I weren't alone, it wouldn't feel so heavy, but Aizawa had a meeting at UA today, and said it might be good for me to get some 'well-earned rest' after yesterday's ordeal.

Clearly, with the tv screen glitching onto the only channel it picks up, I'd forgot that the Sports Festival of UA is the most popular athletic event in all of Japan. So I sit unimpressed when the news reports on the top three first years.

I really can't catch a break.

As I said before, this old machine can't connect to any other channels. So it's either watching this or sitting in silence. I pick the former, reasoning that it can't hurt too bad to discover public opinion regarding me.

"And coming in second place was Suzuya Amane of the hero course. While being a powerhouse in the first two events, coming in first both times. She somehow managed to breeze by public interest, with little to nothing being known of her quirk."

My eye twitches as I realise that despite demolishing the entire competition, right until the very final match... people must think I'm uninteresting to look at or something. It makes sense, Bakugou and Todoroki are a little... flashier in their appearances. Both cute too, so I suppose it's not unfair to focus on them.

My understanding of the newscaster's statement about me falls flat as I hear her drone on about Bakugou next.

"First place is Bakugou Katsuki... Best remembered for his outburst at the victory ceremony, where he had to be chained down and restrained to stop him from acting out violently. We will now play a clip... totally censored."

I slump myself further into the couch as the scene sparks up onto the screen. I hadn't realised in the moment how much he was squirming about under those chains. He looks seconds away from ripping them off, if I'm honest.

It's kinda...

Attractive?

My lips seal shut as I dart my gaze to the side, unable to disagree that somewhere deep, deep, deep... deep down. I somehow don't find his total lack of self control undesirable.

"But what really stole the whole show, causing public outcry; Was second runner up from the first years, Suzuya Amane. The hero course student in question seemingly lost control in a moment of anger when met with Number Two Pro; Endeavor."

I halt, my body turning stiff as I turn back to the television with wide eyes. I blink... at least thirty times in total silence. Until my hands grip at the sofa, my head nearing the screen as they play the clip from five different angles.