2.15 | Unveiling the Untold

Markus may have been a Death Eater but he never caused any more harm than he had to. He had his fair share of power and there had been accidents, but he also had his honour. 

But at that moment, he wanted to kill his sister.

"Did he convey any suspicions about you?" asks Dumbledore.

"No," says Markus. "He never knew who I am nor does he know who Margaret is anymore."

"He knows who she is," says Dumbledore. "They studied in the same year and attended classes together. I do not believe all those memories could've been erased."

"He knows her in passing, then. But most of what he ranted on about last year is gone. I should've known," says Markus, pulling out a parchment from within his pocket and sliding it across the desk. "Especially after reading this."

Dumbledore unfolded it with his left hand, the right one poisoned and blackened as ever.

Markus ignored this, running a frustrated hand through his hair. It had grown past his shoulders during the summer and managed to get tangled all the time. He would have to let Mrs Weasley cut it soon, she had been pestering him about it as though he was a son of her own. Markus won't lie, he was going to miss the Weasleys.

While the Malfoy Manor was not the most favourable of places to stay in despite its grandeur, Markus's job was not just scouting through the old library or finding hidden passageways, entrances and clues to the house.

To add to that, he had intercepted and read every mail that the Malfoys received, eavesdropped on every conversation Lucius Malfoy had had in that house, kept tabs on every person who walked through the peacock-laden gardens, had information about whoever stayed in the manor – from the guests to the house-elves.

The Malfoys had dedicated the entire gallery on the southeast side to their five handsome barn owls and Draco's eagle owl when it was home. Barney, the owl Draco had given Markus last Christmas, was there too; a bit more cheerful than the rest after a good night's hunt. This made it seem quite normal for Markus to visit the owlery – he wanted to see Barney.

On a particularly chilly June afternoon, Draco's eagle owl flew inside and Markus beckoned it over just in time before it rang the bell on the side. All the owls were trained to peck on the side of a large bell when they returned with a letter, which in turn gonged like a doorbell. Usually, a house-elf came to fetch the mail to bring it to Narcissa Malfoy.

Markus threw a furtive glance out of the door then crouched around the corner so that if someone entered the owlery, they wouldn't spot him immediately. He then carefully opened the envelope addressed 'Mum'.

He wasn't sure what he was expecting. Maybe Draco had addressed his knowledge of profanities in several different languages to Margaret again. Or maybe he made an abrupt confession of love for her. For some reason, Markus couldn't decide which would be more horrifying.

Turned out, it was neither. But it surprisingly came as a relief.

Dear Mum,

Tell Father to expect seven straight O's. I told you O.W.Ls is child's play. At least for me. Crabbe and Goyle brought their potion to life. Poor Professor Snape didn't look thrilled.

Anyway, I know I should say this. I know I must. Even though it brings me immense pain to admit it. Mum, you know how I hate to disappoint you. It would be the last thing I would ever want to do, mum. But it seems that in this matter I have no other choice.

I couldn't find anything about Margaret Xenakis. I've searched the library, I've even had her belongings searched, but there is nothing special about her. She is ordinary. Not even like Potter and his Weasels, she just scuffles after them to get a taste of that false sense of importance that clings to Potter. Much like that mudblood Granger.