2.63 | Sectumsempra

~ author's ramblings ~

We're nearing the end.

-x-

The morning after watching Slughorn's memories and finally discussing the topic of Horcruxes, Harry had told Ron and Hermione all about it during Charms (after having cast the Muffliato spell over them.) Both of them were positively awed by the revelation.

"Wow..." Ron was waving his wand very vaguely in the direction of the ceiling without paying attention to what he was doing. "You'll actually be going with Dumbledore and try to destroy... wow."

"Ron, you're making it snow," says Hermione patiently, grabbing his wrist and redirecting his wand away from the ceiling from which, sure enough, large white flakes had started to fall.

Lavender Brown glared at Hermione from a neighboring table through very red-rimmed eyes, and Hermione immediately let go of Ron's arm.

"Oh yeah," says Ron, looking down at his shoulders in vague surprise. "Sorry... looks like we've all got horrible dandruff now."

He brushed some of the fake snow off Hermione's shoulder and Lavender burst into tears. Ron looked immensely guilty and turned his back on her.

"We split up," he tells Harry out of the corner of his mouth.

"You don't say," mutters Harry.

"Last night, when she saw me coming out of the dormitory with Hermione. Obviously she couldn't see you under your cloak, so she thought it had just been the two of us."

"Ah," says Harry. "Well, you don't mind it's over, do you?"

"No," Ron admits, looking rather relieved. "It was pretty bad while she was yelling, but at least I didn't have to finish it."

"Coward," mutters Hermione, slightly amused. "Well, it was a bad night for romance all around. Ginny and Dean split up too, Harry."

There was a rather knowing look in Hermione's eye as she looked at Harry, causing Margaret to smirk from where she was sat next to Hermione.

"How come?" asks Harry casually.

"Oh, something really silly... She said he was always trying to help her through the portrait hole, like she couldn't climb in herself, but they’ve been a bit rocky for ages."

Harry was truly the luckiest person yesterday, for it had been he who had accidentally brushed against Ginny while he slipped past her and Dean while under the Invisibility Cloak, leading to the said argument. And now she was single. There truly was no wingman like Felix.

"Of course, this puts you in a bit of a dilemma, doesn't it?" Hermione goes on.

"What d’you mean?" asks Harry quickly.

"The Quidditch team," says Hermione innocently. "If Ginny and Dean aren't speaking..."

"Oh- Oh yeah. The Quidditch team... Yes."

"Flitwick," warns Ron.

The tiny little Charms master was bobbing his way toward them, and Hermione was the only one who had managed to turn vinegar into wine; her glass flask full of deep crimson liquid. Whereas the contents of Harry's and Ron's were still murky brown.

"Now, now, boys," squeaks Professor Flitwick reproachfully. "A little less talk, a little more action..."

"That's what she said," Margaret mutters almost to herself, nonverbally turning her vinegar into wine.