𝐊𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐨𝐤𝐞 𝐢𝐧𝐯𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐠𝐚𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

(watch this scene first to understand the chapter better ヾ(〃^∇^)ノ)

━━

"𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐬𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐝 𝐦𝐲 𝐛𝐫𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫!"

Itadori wasn't really sure how they had gotten pulled into this investigation. They were supposed to be going back to Tokyo Jujutsu High.. but it seemed fate had other plans. Or maybe it was just a writer who was unmotivated to write stuff!

A woman, her name was Lisa, pointed her finger at the five men standing in a row.

"I was hiding in the bathroom stall, and he was singing along to the music at the bar," she said accusatorily.

Y/N raised an eyebrow, the model of a perfect investigator. "Do you remember what he was singing?"

The woman answered, "It was that song.." She thought for a moment and said, "I Want It That Way."

Narrowing her eyes, Y/N said solemnly, "Backstreet Boys. I'm familiar."

Sukuna asked Itadori in his head (they were currently in the same body), "Huh? What's that?"

 Itadori shushed him and told him to just listen. The audacity.

Leaning forwards, Y/N clicked open the microphone. "Number one, can you sing the opening to I Want It That Way?" she called. 

The first suspect looked, understandably, confused. He shrugged. "Really? Okay." In a smooth baritone, he sung, "You aree.. my fire."

Y/N looked at Lisa. The woman shook her head. This was not the murderer.

She pressed the microphone again. "Number two, keep it going!"

This one looked questioningly at the others around him. They all looked similarly bewildered. He continued with a (slightly uncomfortable), "The onee.. desire."

Still not the culprit.

"Number three!" 

"Believe when I say.." the third man sang, this time a bit more energetically than the last.

Now looking very un-detectivelike, Y/N beamed. "Number four!"

A reedy "I want it that way," came from the fourth man.

Definitely forgetting protocol, Y/N belted out enthusiastically, "Tell me why!"

"Ain't nothing but a heartache," chorused all five suspects, singing their hearts out. It was whole choir.

"Now number five," cried Y/N in the tune of the song.

With a tremulous vibrato, number five warbled, "I never want to hear you say..."

Whooping, Y/N led the group to a rousing finish of "I want it that way."

She put a hand to her heart, saying fondly, "Chills. Literal chills."

At her elbow, the woman spoke up. "Number five. Number five killed my brother."

Y/N gaped at her. "Oh my curses. I forgot about that."

___________________________________________________

Leaving the police station, Y/N was still humming I Want It That Way. She stopped her melody to murmur a quick "Temporary Separation: One finger." They were in Tokyo already, and were close to Jujutsu High.

As Sukuna separated from Itadori, he stretched, cracking his knuckles. "Finally. No more Jennifer Lawrence thoughts from that brat." 

Itadori looked offendedly at him.

Sukuna walked quickly so that he was in front of Y/N. After all, what kind of king of curses walked behind others? His superior thoughts were interrupted by Y/N, her voice coming from behind him. 

"Sukuna, are you singing the song?" He could hear the smirk in her words.

He was about to retort with a "Of course not, mortal songs are in bad taste." when he realized - he was indeed humming. Blah, these tunes were surprisingly catchy. 

Moving forward to sling an arm over his shoulder, Y/N's cheerful face greeted him. "Perhaps.. I should teach you the lyrics?" she said conspiratorially, doing the double eyebrow raise. 

"Tch. You look ridiculous," he replied. He made a point to not notice her closeness. He was a fool! She was the one who was supposed to be falling for him, not the other way around.

"Your loss! The Backstreet Boys are classic!" chimed Itadori on his other side. Y/N nodded in agreement.

For the rest of the walk, Itadori and Y/N had a.. karaoke of sorts, chanting Backstreet Boys songs in unison. Thirty minutes in, Sukuna was pretty sure he knew the lyrics to every song the group had ever written. He was surrounded by two idiots.

A/N: I feel like this is becoming more of a half-crack-fic (is that a thing?).. anyway we're going to be meeting Gojo's group next chapter!! :3

Explanation for Sukuna and Itadori vessel situation! Y/N's technique separates them temporarily and doesn't last forever. Once it goes down, Itadori and Sukuna are back together, and she needs to renew it. If y'all have any more questions, just lmk here!

Date: 2021/06/4