The Call

Living in Colorado was just the break we needed. I stared at the sun beams streaming through the blinds, the room was almost as humid as the events of the night before and Daemon's musk still covered the pillow, I rested my head on. Daemon's strong and protective arms were around me but were leaning loosely on my side, even though he was behind me, I could tell he was sleeping by the pattern of his breathing and how he hadn't said a freaking word.

I smiled to myself as he breathed on the back of my neck, I felt goosebumps go up my back as if someone had rubbed a static balloon up my back.

It was Daemon's twentieth birthday and I was going to make it the most special he had ever had. I cautiously untangled his hands from around my stomach and lifted them so gently in the hope the asshole wouldn't wake up.

I placed a plump pillow in his arms and placed the other arm on top, I was pretty chuffed he hadn't woken up yet and sat up off the bed lifting my dressing gown off the hook and putting it on her so she could make him some breakfast. As I opened the door it squeaked and I cringed before slowly stepping out of the bedroom and closing the door ever so slowly, I started walking normally but I heard him groan and pauses until I heard the familiar sound of his steady breathing again.

When I got to the bottom of the stairs I breathed in heavily and smiled and started running around gathering his presents in their small sitting room.

I found comfort that I could act normal at, at least one social occasion, Dawson, Beth and Ashley were coming over. And Dee, Archer and Luc, and I invited some friends from College, even Hunter and Serena are coming. Normal. I knew there isn't really a definition but it was a good feeling that there was no government, Arum, Luxen or Hybrid problems to deal with.

I put some turkey bacon in the oven and made some scrambled eggs and smiled as I knew the smell would reach him soon. I turned and I saw the white paper crisp envelope on the counter, I smiled at it.

I had been saving up for months for this present not even Dee knew about it and she helped me with the freaking guest list, restaurant booking and every other thing. I heard a thud on the stairs and lunged for the envelope, I chucked it in a Macy's back by the counter. I wasn't gonna take anymore chanced with his speedy Gonzales thing, I tried to act normal but I was so excited. I quickly put the food on the plate as Daemon walked in.

His bed head hair made me giggle, he smiled and stretched while flexing his muscles along his arms, I turned my attention back to breakfast and put his breakfast on the table with a glass of milk.

I heard his thankful morning groan and smiled as he sat on the chair and put his hand through his hair and it seemed perfectly fine! I mean seriously mine would be greasy, frizzy and a tangled mess in the morning, why does he have to be so annoying like that.

He winked at me as he scooped up his food and popped it in his mouth, I made extra so that he wouldn't be hungry and he still ate that and two apples! I mean it really does suck to be a human or a hybrid anyway, Luxen have a freakin' never ending appetite and perfect bodies, and what do we have bad tempered, greedy, assholes of a species.

Daemon's eyes were trained on mine as I looked down at my scrambled eggs and toast,
"You've got something planned haven't you?" I looked up in horror at his smug little face, I glared at him and he laughed.

"How did you know?" I said.

"Considering Dee's been over every night for the last month" he said smiling "I took a wild guess."

I was annoyed he knew why did he have to spoil the surprise and Dee would play hell
"Oh yeah and Luc and Dawson told me" I thumped the table and Daemon laughed and placed his soft hand over my clenched fist "I really appreciate it Katy, but all I really need is you next to me by the rest of the night."