Chapter 22: We Can Do Better

Y/N's P.O.V

Once I'm out of the construction site I web zip in and swing down to where all the emergency services are along with the senators and everyone else.

As I land on the ground I carry Karli's body over to a gurney and it gets taken away. I go over to the senators as I hear news reporters asking me questions.

Reporter #1: What happened to the Flagsmashers? When will the government make you Captain America? What do we call you now? Is it still the Scarlet Spider?

Reporter #2: Or is it Captain Spider?

I make it over to the senators.

Alya: Y/N. Thank you so much, from all of us.

Senator: Sincerely. You did your part in dealing with those terrorists, now we'll do ours.

Y/N: Are you still going forward with reseting the boarders?

Senator #2: Yes. Our peacekeeping troops will begin relocating people immediately. The terrorists only set us back a little.

Y/N: You gotta stop calling them terrorists.

Senator: What else would we call them.

Y/N: Your peacekeeping troops with weapons are forcing millions of people into settlements around the world right? What do you think those people are gonna call you? These labels. "Terrorists," "refugee," "thug." There often used to get around the question of why?

Senator #2: Those settlements that happened three years ago, do you think it is fair for governments to have to support them?

Y/N: Yes, I do.

Senator: And the people who reappeared to find someone living in their family home, they just end up homeless? Look I get it, but you have no idea how complicated this situation is kid. 

Y/N: You know what? You're right. I don't, and maybe that's a good thing. We finally have a common struggle. Think about that. For once there are  people out that have been begging, and I mean literally begging for you to feel how hard any given day is, now you know. How did it feel to be helpless? Now if you can remember what it felt like to be helpless, to face a force so powerful it can wipe out half the planet's population, you would know your about to have the exact same impact. This isn't about easy decisions senator.

Senator: You just don't understand.

I chuckle at this.

Y/N: I'm a man who isn't Steve Rogers carrying the stars and stripes, what don't I understand? Every time I pick this thing up I know that there's probably gonna be hundreds, if not millions of people out there that hate me for it. But I'm still here. No super serum, and yes I do have super powers. But the only power I have, the only true power that I have is that I believe we can do better. We can't demand that people step up if we're not willing to meet 'em half way.

I look to one of the other senators.

Y/N: You control the banks. Shit you can move boarders! You can knock down a forest with an email, you can feed a millions of people with a phone call. But the question is. Who's in the room with you when your making those decisions? Is it the people your gonna impact? Or is it more people like you?

I breathe in heavily before continuing.

Y/N: I mean this girl died trying to stop you and no-one has stopped for one second to ask why.

I point to the American senator.

Y/N: You gotta do better senator. You've gotta step up, because if you don't the next Karli will. And you don't wanna see 2.0. People believed in her cause so much that they helped her defy the strongest governments in the world. Why do you think that is? Look, you people have just as much power as an insane god, or a misguided teenager. The question you have to ask yourself is. "How are you gonna use it?"

With that I walk off and go to join dad and Sam.

I first put my hand on John's shoulder.

Y/N: Thank you John. I appreciate your help out there.

He nods to me.

John: Anytime.

He then walks off into the crowd and I join dad and Sam and walk inbetween them.

Bucky: So, I was texting during that all I heard was "I'm a man who isn't Steve Rogers carrying the stars and stripes."

All three of us chuckle.

Bucky: Great job Cap.

I smile at him.

Y/N: Thanks dad.

Both dad and Sam pats me on the back.

We then go over to Sharon.

Y/N: Sharon?

Sharon: Blocking my light.

Y/N: You should go to the hospital.

Sam: She won't listen.

Bucky: He's right.

Sharon: Hey, it's not the worse thing to happen to me all week.

Bucky: Told you.

We then hear a voice.

???: Uh, Cap?

Sharon: I think he's talking to you Y/N. Hey so, I'm sorry for how things ended down there.

I nod to her.

Sharon: For what it's worth, the suit looks good on you.

I smile.

Y/N: (Chuckling) Thanks.

Bucky: Come on Sam, let's get her out of here.

Sam: Yep, see ya around Cap.

I nod and pat Sam on the shoulder as he walks off with dad and Sharon.

Y/N: I didn't forget my promise to you Sharon.

I then go over to the guy who just called to me.

Y/N: What's up?

???: So, we've got eyes on the last Flagsmasher that fell into the Hudson. He's hurt, but not down. Can you help?

I smile and pat his upper arm.

Y/N: Always.

I then web zip away and swing off to the Hudson to deal with the last Flagsmasher standing.

(Two hours later)

After dealing with the last Flagsmasher I went back home to see Wanda.

As I walk through the front door I take the shield off my back and place it down up against the wall. I then take my cowel off.

I hear footsteps and see Wanda come round the corner.

Wanda: Oh thank god. You okay?

She and I hug then pull away after a couple of seconds.

Y/N: Yeah, I'm okay.

Wanda: So, I saw your speech on the news. It was very Steve Rogers like.

I chuckle.

Y/N: Yeah, I guess it was. I just thought about what he'd say in that moment and it all came out.

After talking some more Wanda and I head to bed.