𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐄𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓: a step to freedom

chapter twenty eight

꒰☁️꒱

"you seem so out of your mind, where is the bubbly and loud as heck park sunghoon? my lovely boyfriend? hey, are you even listening?" he blinked a couple of times, a hand entering and leaving his sight alternatively.

"h─huh?" sunghoon muttered, haneul leaving a sigh slide past her lips, her hands fiddling with his raven locks as she stared at him, averting her eyes at the ceiling, where the glowing in the dark stars shone under the dim light of the afternoon.

her parent's voices faintly became the background music of theirs from the room across, mingling with some soft piano music sunghoon had turned on. "baby, is everything okay?"

though he was confident enough that he had sorted the mess out, the guilt was still eating him alive. yoo hana was cooperative and understanding, as sunghoon explained to her how the kiss meant nothing.

but what the youngster dreaded the most was the brunette boy residing in the house across, more specifically in the room right across haneul's, their windows being meters away.

the video was still in his hands, ready to be sent to haneul at any moment given. threatening him was now one of a daily thing for jungwon, and he himself could do nothing but try and stay away from the girl as much as he could.

"everything is absolutely fine, baby."

he smiled, tightly enough to make it seem like a real one. haneul ran her hand through his hair, a smile on her very own lips as she nodded. "I don't want to believe you, but if anything, you'll run to me, will you?"

sunghoon nodded, watching as her hand reached for his very own one laying on his side and interlocked her pinky with his. "do you promise me?"

he hesitated, the oblivious kim haneul not aware of the way his whole body flinched with his lips twitching into a small and sad smile, afraid to make a promise he wasn't sure he'll keep.

as if the heavens heard his prays, a knock on the door made both of them jerk up. "come in." the door opened as haneul's mom walked up to them, her hands occupied with a big tray filled with tasty goods.

"sorry for intruding but me and your dad will be gone for a while. don't get naughty while we're away." "MOM?!" sunghoon held his stomach while his body folded in half, loud laughs that were followed by haneul's screams making her mom giggle.

"sorry about that, I don't know what went through her mind, I mean-" "hey babe, it's fine." sunghoon cupped her face with his hands, eyes locking with hers as he offered her a big, genuine smile. "you're literally burning."

"s─stop!" she pushed his hands away and stood up, yet he was fast enough to grab her by the waist and push her back down to the bed, rolling over her and pinning her hands over her head. "what the hell park sunghoon?"

"shhh." he whispered, lowering his body a little. haneul was afraid that her heart would betray how flustered she felt at the moment, yet sunghoon was kind enough to not mention it.

"haneul..." she hummed, the moment seeming perfect and romantic to her. their close proximity, the orange and flamy red rays of the sun decorating the room, a love blooming midst the chaos.

"have I ever told you how beautiful you are?" "almost every day?" "have I ever told you how much you mean to me?" "yup, every single day." "do you know how much I love you?" "I do, I definitely do."

"kim haneul." he mumbled, lowering his head a little more and connecting their lips into a passionate kiss filled with so much love and affection, the two youngsters in love melting under the touch of their significant other.

"I love you." a peck on the nose. "so. fucking. much." he said in between kisses, haneul giggling as her hands wrapped around his body, pulling him closer to her ─ if that was anywhere near possible.

"park sunghoon, the feelings are more than mutual." she whispered with her hand running through his hair, as he nuzzled his head on the crook of her neck and sniffed. "why is your scent so addicting?"

"why are you suddenly so flirty? did you do something and your guilty ass won't tell me?" at that, the boy froze and felt his stomach knotting in mass anxiousness. "n─no?"

"I mean, can't I appreciate my love?" he said, trying to push the stuttering away as he maintained a steady eye contact with her, trying to seem all the sincere.

and, for once again, haneul did believe him.

"anyways, gotta go. I don't think it's a good idea to leave my mom alone...I am sorry haneul." "no worries love, I understand." she drew circles on his back, both standing up as they went down the stairs and walked their way towards the main door.

"see you tomorrow?" haneul asked, as sunghoon halted his steps and turned around, a small smile on his lips. but, right when they met eyes, it dropped.

her smile, it would always fill him with a great amount of happiness, but why was he suddenly so sad? why does this feel like a goodbye to him?

"I'll try to." he assured her, pulling her by the sleeves of her hoodie and, with a soft thud, she landed on his chest, as a giggle escaped her mouth. "hey, that hurts." she rubbed her nose, her lips forming a pout as he bent over her.

"here." he kissed her nose and patted her head. "does it still hurt love?" she shook her head and hugged him, both simultaneously tightening the hug.

"bye!" haneul waved her hand, body leaning against the door frame as she watched him go. sunghoon waved his hand back at her, then turned around and walked out of the gate.

it took him more than usual to reach his house, head always hanging low and hands stuffed in his pockets. he went up the few stairs and entered the balcony, hand searching for his keys in his coat's inner pocket.

as soon as the door opened, yells and screams welcomed the tired boy. him being used to it, he went up the stairs and opened the door to his room.

with a worn out smile, he threw his body on top of the bed, bouncing as his face got stuffed in the many soft pillows. sniffing the levander scent of theirs, he got reminded of haneul and her intoxicating levander perfume, a bigger smile creeping up on his face.

he turned his face on the right side, eyes meeting with the skating shoes that have been accompanying him for years now. his brows creased, a wave of adrenaline kicking in as he smiled.

he suddenly remembered how he haven't skated in a while and, given that it's may and the weather is still pretty cold, the lake must be frozen.

he jumped out of his bed and grabbed the shoes, opened the door and flew down the stairs, ignoring the yelling of his dad, who was scolding his son for always going out.

it took him five minutes, a new record of his which he kept of mental note of to tell haneul and heeseung tomorrow on. however tired he was, he couldn't help but give himself strength and say that, right behind this small hill, the frozen lake was waiting for him.

his frozen lake.

he stopped at the top of the hill, with a big smile brightening up his dull face, his mood already levels up. there it was, waiting for him, the ice shining under the afternoon sun as he hopped his way down the rocky hill.

he sat down, legs crossed, and took off his shoes. wearing his ice skates after a very long time came to him as a cold shower after an awfully hot day, lights of hope midst the darkness, haneul's warm hugs after a tiring day.

he skated his way around the lake, his hands open and his head thrown back while feeling the cold air hitting him straight on the face. what a euphoric feeling, what a blessing.

park sunghoon...

was finally...

free.