𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄: i'm sorry

chapter twenty nine

꒰☁️꒱

at the sound of the bell ringing and filling the empty house with its sound, haneul jerked up from the couch and drove her soles to the door. before she opened it, she peeked through one of the curtains, seeing jungwon jumping and stuffing his hands on his pockets so that he could keep the temperature on his body high.

"t─too cold." he commented once she opened the door, her chuckling at the way he immediately run towards the fireplace and sat in the chair placed in front of it, his hands extended so that he could warm them up. indeed, the temperature has seemed to drop, in contrast to the sweet warm sun of the morning.

it was oddly off.

"what's with me getting blessed with so many lovable visits today?" haneul said with a small smile, sitting on one of the armchairs as jungwon let out a small "oh?" of confusion, his furrowed brows clearly demanding some more information.

"sunghoon just left." she explained, as jungwon shook his head with a little pout. "he's always here, isn't he?" he mumbled, mostly to himself. he knew that haneul paid little to no attention to mumbling, for she was oblivious.

but, this time round, haneul heard his words, and of course questioned them with a small, ironic grin and a tilt of her head. "what do you mean, wonie? he's my boyfriend, obviously he'll be here most of the time."

"I'm not so sure about your very first statement, haneul." he said, his head hanging low as he stared at the fire's orange flames burning. "w-wait, what do you mean?"

"you'll ruin everything." heeseung had told him this morning, but if anything he could care less about sunghoon or his so-called love for haneul. he could still not accept his words of sincerety, how the kiss never meant something to him.

his great hate towards the raven that appeared in their lives out of the blue on a cold february morning and stole both his place as a best friend and his chances of winning her heart, they're enough to motivate him and push him into doing what he was about to do.

he preferred breaking her heart now, so that she could save her soul later.

"haneul, we've known each other for almost six years. friendship can't be counted in years, nor trust does. but, coming to our situation, it does. more than what we'd like to think."

haneul creased her brows, expecting more, hoping that whatever came out of his mouth wouldn't crush or break her. "elaborate won, what does time and friendship have to do with this?"

"haneul, I'm afraid to say that─" one deep inhale, one long exhale. "─that sunghoon is most probably cheating on you." he mumbled, looking at her straight in the eyes.

oh boy, did he regret doing so?

in the girl's eyes swam a mixture of despair, pain and disbelief. his words came to her as a surprise, but also as a bitter statement she wasn't a hundred percent sure whether should she trust it or not. "you're kidding. you are just playing around, don't you?"

but then again, haneul thought, yang jungwon was never the type to play around.

"why would I lie to you?" he gathered all the courage he could possibly do to utter the next words, her being all the more surprised. "I would never lie to the person I love the most."

"as a friend I guess." she questioned, yet his tone was rather serious to be taken as a joke. his cute dimple was nowhere to be seen, meaning that he was being more than serious.