Chapter 28

Few Days Later: Akaashi's POV
"So... what do we do now?"

"Go home. I guess. Report back to the king." Iwaizumi said as we all stood around him. After a few days, he had regained his strength and was well enough to make a short journey back towards home. We will need to continue to previous villages we visited before, and make smaller trips to not overwork Iwaizumi.

Not to mention, we had a much, much younger little companion to bring with us..

"Akaashi?"

"Mm?"

"You two okay?" Bokuto asked, wrapping his arms around my waist, below where my arms were cradling the baby. I leaned into his chest and nodded, not taking my eyes off the baby. People around the village have seen me with the boy, and told Bokuto and I that they hope we will take good care of him. 

The parents apparently had no family here. They had some friends, but none of them could afford to take in another child. Besides, the mother asked me to take care of her son before she died.. She held on for so long. I hope it brought her peace to finally know her baby wouldn't die underneath a collapsed building with her. 

"Alright then, let's go." Iwaizumi said to us all. We left the building we were in and headed to the pathway to leave. Before we left, a few people came up to us. They wished us well and said goodbye. A young woman walked up to me and gave me a cloth wrapping and a small bag.

"Here... Use the wrap to keep the baby close.. And in the bag is a little bit of food you can feed him. Of course it will need... mushing.. but he is old enough to eat more than milk." She said with a small smile. I thanked her as Bokuto helped put the cloth wrap around my body and put the baby boy in the small pouch of it in front of my chest. 

I looked in the bag and saw some foods like fruits. I obviously could not feed the baby like his mother did, but he wasn't a newborn. So he could eat these fruits if they are softened. 

After we were settled, we headed back towards home. It was around evening when Iwaizumi looked tired. Of course he said nothing. But all of us could tell. So, we stopped for the day. Bokuto made a fire and used one of the cast iron bowls one of the villagers had given us to heat and soften the fruit until it was basically a sauce that I could feed the baby. 

Oikawa's POV

I smiled slightly while watching Akaashi spoon out tiny bits of the heated fruit and feed it to the baby. He had told me what happened to his last son.. so, I hope that this son brings him some peace.. 

After a bit, I got up and walked over to where Iwa-chan was sitting. I sat next to him quietly and looked up at the sky like he was doing. We sat in silence for a long time. By now, the others were asleep and it was dark. Iwa-chan looked at the others and made sure they were all asleep and okay before turning to look at me. Just as I was about to ask him something, he leaned over and pulled me into his lap. I gasped slightly in surprise before laughing quietly.

"Iwa-chan?" 

"Shh.." He shushed me in silence, pressing his ear against my chest. I smiled softly and brushed my fingers through his hair before giving the top of his head a kiss. A few more moments passed before he pulled his head back and looked up at me. 

"Are you okay, Iwa-chan?" I whispered. He nodded slightly and accepted the soft kiss I gave him. I let him hold onto me before I whispered that we should sleep too. Iwa-chan mumbled an okay before letting me climb off his lap and we laid together. He put his arms around me again as we laid to face each other.

It was really dark. But, I could see a tinge of pain on Iwa-chan's face. Maybe he was tired. Maybe he was sad.. Either way, I want him to forget. To rest and feel at peace. He's been through so much. And his tough demeanor can't last forever. He needs someone he can allow himself to be vulnerable to. 

Without a word, I shifted so I could reach my hand up. I cupped his cheek that wasn't laying on the grass. I heard him take in a shaky breath before slowly nuzzling his face into my palm and close his eyes. His hand gently laid itself over mine. We stayed like this for a little bit before I quietly sang him a song my mom used to sing.

(Song should be linked to top of chapter. But in case it's not: https://youtu.be/TFdSWROHy5w ) 

After I finished the song, I smiled to myself when Iwa-chan's hand gently thumped against the grass. I pulled my hand away and scooted closer to him. I could hear his steady breathing and I could feel his body was completely relaxed. Without waking him, I gave him a soft kiss.

It was still strange to think about. He had told me that I was the reason he was so happy in that dream. Not as a friend to him. But as his husband. 

I hated to think it.. But I still believe it would have been better if I was the one to have died rather than even have had him trapped in that fake world. He told me to not say that... That he doesn't want me to leave him. But... it's hard to change my mind. I was supposed to help. But I ended up being the cause of death to so many... including that baby boy's parents.. Iwa-chan would never want to marry someone like that. 

I love him. But he would be better without me.