Chapter 29

Lisa never skips work on Monday. So when she phoned Shuxin and told her she could not be in the office to join the team, it came absurd to her assistant. Lisa would always come, healthy or not. It was even more absurd that Lisa would allow herself to miss the second quarter meeting.

Lisa was in no state of function. She went home just before the sun rose from the east. She was disoriented, pathetic and desperate. She needed to see Jennie. So she called her and pleaded that she come and see her at once. Lisa sounded urgent over the phone and it worried Jennie that she would not state her exact reasons.

After two more hours of agonizing, Lisa threw herself at the cat-eyed lady who barely just had stepped inside her unit.

"Nini," she firmly enclosed Jennie in her arms. She breathed in her scent and made sure she had it memorized. "I missed you."

"What's wrong, Lisa?"

"I just missed you."

"There's no emergency?" Jennie rubbed her girlfriend's back to let her know that everything was okay now that she was already with her. "Will you let me in first?"

"Of course," Lisa smiled. She took Jennie's bag and her hand in the other. Jennie tipped her head to the side in confusion. "What?"

"You're holding my hand

"You're holding my hand." Jennie gaze thoughtfully at their hands. "I won't go anywhere, Lili."

"I missed you this much. I don't want to let go even for a second." Lisa squeezed her hand lightly. "Now, come on. I'll fix our breakfast."

"Is everything really okay, jagiya? You look like mess. Did you even sleep?"

The sharp pang of guilt pummeled her chest. She averted her gaze somewhere and even if she already has decided of letting Jennie know where she stayed for the weekend, in the last minute, she figured she could not let her know. She could not bring herself to be honest with her even if they promised that no matter what, they will remain honest.

"It hurts to sleep."

"Why?"

"It hurts to sleep alone." Lisa conjured all her remaining strength to pose a smile.

" Lisa conjured all her remaining strength to pose a smile