Chapter Twenty

We found our way to where James had been. Instead of James, we found many agents on the floor out cold. One man was not. The so-called doctor. Although, now, we knew that he wasn't. My dad stormed over to the man.
"Help me. Help" the man tried to say but my dad was having none of his bullshit.
"Get up," he said. He grabbed this man by the collar of his shirt and shoved him up against the wall. "Who are you? What do you want?" he added, getting in this man's face.
"To see an empire fall" the man said.
As Uncle Sam enters, James swings his fist which smashes through the wall as Uncle Sam ducks. Bucky grabs him by the jaw and throws him at the open pod. Shit. I helped Sam to his feet. Dad lurches into the fight and lands a punch which James barely feels. James kicks and punches Dad out of the chamber. They continued to fight all the way to the elevator. A punch from James goes through the elevator door. Steve blocks the next one but the power of James's fist sends him tumbling into the darkened elevator shaft. I gasped and ran at James.
"Shit. Dad!" I yelled, trying to use my powers to throw James to the side. But before I can move, James punches me in the stomach, sending me to the floor. He goes to punch my head but I move out the way, his fist leaving a mark on the floor. I tried to use my powers to move him but I was failing in every aspect of the word. He went to punch me again but there was a look of recognition in his eyes until he shook his head and left me on the floor. I got myself up a few seconds later and dusted myself off. I proceeded to follow him. He began fighting agents on the main floor of the Tower. I could see Tony and I went up behind him.
"Whatcha doing?" I said and Tony jumped. I giggled and he glared at me.
"Don't you realize that this is all your fault?" he said. I heard Auntie Nat on his coms. He pressed on his watch which turned out to be part of his suit. He zaps James with a stun-burst before he can shoot a guard. Tony rushes him, firing again. James ducks the blast then trades blows with Tony, firing the gun. Tony has the Iron Man-glove over the barrel, blocking the bullet. I smirked at Tony. That's fucking karma for saying that it was my fault. He pulls the gun barrel loose then James smacks him backwards. Sharon then rushes James as I. We both land kicks and punches, then James flips Sharon head over heels. She smashes onto a table then I leap on James, my legs around his neck. He slams me onto another table and grabs my throat.
"You could at least recognize me" I choked out before another look of recognition flashed through his eyes. T'Challa comes from nowhere and kicks James off of me. He fights with James, landing lightning fast kicks and some punches. James gets a counter punch in and T'Challa falls, but quickly recovers. James hurries up some stairs. T'Challa leaps the levels and vaults a railing, landing in front of James. I watch as T'Challa continues to follow James. I can hear Sam's thoughts nearby so I head his way.
"Damn it" he said and I came up next to him. I nodded, understanding that Zemo was gone for the time being. I put my hand on his shoulder, letting him know that it wasn't his fault.
"Oh, look at you, little one" a voice said and both Sam and I turned to see my mom standing there. She smirked and headed my way. "Oh, look at you. They've corrupted you" she said and I just shook my head. Looking at her finally, I realized how much we were alike, in facial
"Mom, you died. You and Dad died" I said and she shook her head, chuckling.
"Oh no, you foolish one. We just didn't want you. Of course, your father died soon after at the hands of me. He was too weak" she said and my heart broke. Tears entered my eyes as she lunged at me. She threw punches at me but I just dodged them. I continued to fight against her. I began to grow tired so I used my last burst of energy to throw her away from me. I watched as she hit a large piece of concrete. She fell to the ground, unmoving. I waited for a second for her to get up but she stayed on the ground.
"Mom," I said, making my way over to her. Tears streamed down my face as I fell to my knees at her side. Her eyes were blank, completely void of life and that is when it all came to together. I killed her. I killed my mom. I'm a monster. I felt a hand touch my shoulder and that is when I broke. I screamed, every ounce of being breaking. I had killed the one person who could have convinced me that I wasn't a monster after all.
"Ava. Ava. It's me" Uncle Sam said, pulling me to his chest. "Come on. We have to go find your dad and Barnes" he said and I nodded, completely void of any emotion. I killed my mom.
"Ava?" Dad asked. We had found our way to an empty facility where my dad had taken James. James was currently unconscious. I ran into his arms, still completely void of any emotion whatsoever. "Baby, what's wrong?" I shook my head and just buried my head further in his chest.
"Steve, she killed her mom. She threw her against the wall using her powers and the woman hit the wall. It was an accident but I don't think that she sees it that way" Uncle Sam said and I just buried my head further into his chest. He pulled away and put his fingers on my chin, making me look him in the eyes.
"Ava, sweetheart. Listen to me. You're not at fault, okay. Your mom, she was too far gone for you to help and you did nothing, okay. You are still getting your powers under control and that is okay. I love you no matter what" he said, kissing me on the forehead. But then James began to stir.
"Hey, Cap! We go over to where James is and he is waking up.
"Steve. And Little Morales" he said and tears streamed down my face, turning away from him.
"The name's Ava" I said and he gave me a small smile.
"Which Bucky am I talking to?" Dad said, shielding me from him.
"Your mom's name was Sarah...You used to wear newspapers in your shoes" James said, chuckling.
"Can't read that in a museum" he chuckled and so did James. Dad stepped out from in front of me.
"Just like that, we're supposed to be cool?" Uncle Sam asked and I gave him a playful glare.
"What did I do?" James asked and I looked down at the ground.
"Enough" Dad said, wrapping his arm around me.
"Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything HYDRA put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words" he said and I nodded, knowing exactly how it feels.
"I know how you feel, James. Hydra, or at least Baron Von Strucker, did the same to me. They called me Winter In Training, which at the time I didn't understand but now I do" I explained and I watched Dad give me a soft look and James, a look of pain flashed through his eyes. "He's dead now so all good" I said, nodding.
"Who was he?" Dad asked and James turned his attention back to him.
"I don't know" James said and Steve shook his head.
" are dead. The bombing, the setup. The doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you. I need you to do better than "I don't know."" Dad said and I nodded, continuing to look at the ground.
"He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where" James said and I looked inside his head. James glared at me but I learned what I needed to.
"Why would he need to know that?" Dad asked and James looked like he might say something but I beat him to the punch.
"Because he's not the only Winter Soldier" I said and Dad looked at me. "Read his mind" I said, smirking at both my dad and James.
"Steve, can Ava and I talk" he said and I looked at my dad. He nodded and so, I sat down in front of James. "So, how long have you known about me?" he asked and I gave him a shy grin.
"Not long. I have known that my dad, my biological dad, was out there for my entire life. My m-mom and step-dad had told me on my eighth birthday that he was not my dad but my stepdad and before I could ask anymore questions, they were killed. Or at least that's what I thought. I was taken by Strucker and that's when I found my family in Wanda and Pietro. I was with them until I was 13, so just last year. Then, the Avengers found me and they left me behind. I was then taken in by Clint Barton, one of the original Avengers. Pietro was killed in battle and then Wanda came to take me back to Avengers tower. Then, I caused the deaths of a lot of people or at least that's what everyone thinks. And then, everything with you began happening. I just found out about you when I came to Avengers tower with Wanda. But I know how you feel about being controlled. Strucker wanted me to become like you. They tried to do what they did to you but I don't think it worked" I said and he looked at me.
"I'm sorry, Ava but after all of this, I would be willing to work towards a relationship of some kind," he said. A look of confusion crossed his face like he had something else to say. "Also, why do you call Steve 'Dad'" he asked and I looked over to my dad. I smiled at him.
"Because he is legally my dad. A few months ago, he legally adopted me. He has accepted me with all of my flaws"I said and before he could say anything else, Dad and Sam came in.
"Who were they?" Dad said and I nodded.
"Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in HYDRA history. And that was before the serum" James said, keeping his eyes on me.
"They all turn out like you?" Uncle Sam asked and I gave him a glare.
"Worse" he said and my eyes widened.
"The doctor, could he control them?" Steve asked.
"Enough" James said
"Said he wanted to see an empire fall" Steve said.
"With these guys he could do it. They speak 30 languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate, destabilize, They can take a whole country down in one night. You'd never see them coming" he said and I shook my head, scared for my life.
"This would have been a lot easier a week ago" Sam said and I looked to James.
"If we call Tony . . ." I said and Sam just shook his head at me.
"No, he won't believe us" Uncle Sam said.
"Even if he did . . ." Dad said, looking to us.
"Who knows if the Accords would let him help" Sam said.
"We're on our own" Dad said and I nodded.
"Maybe not. I know a guy" Uncle Sam said.