Chapter Eighteen

"3 seconds!" Sam said and I looked to James. Smoke bombs came into the room as did a grenade. "Breach! Breach! Breach!" Dad covered the grenade with his shield. Someone yelled in a german accent and we sprang into action. James threw a table against the door, preventing people from getting in. Men then began swinging into the apartment via cables. James and I began to fight them as did Dad. But then a man came from the other apartment door and James headed that way.
"Buck, stop! You're gonna kill someone" Dad said, looking to me for advice. James then knocked my dad to the ground and punched a hole in the floor.
"I'm not gonna kill anyone" he said. James grabbed a backpack from underneath the floorboards and throws it out the window. I create a forcefield around us to avoid gunfire. James uses my dad and throws him into another cop. He used his metal hand to repel bullets and he knocks a cop into shelves. I find a brick and slam it into a cop. Dad continues to fight a cop on the balcony.
One of the cops shot right outside the door. James punched the wall right beside the door. He then just lays into the cops. We both did. Both of us begin punching these cops. A cop then descends from the skylight. James grabs his gun and slams him into the wall. I bash a couple of the cops with the battering ram from earlier. James and I are still beating these cops up. I flew down a couple of levels and James used the railing to do the same. Then, Dad joined us, beating on the cops. James then throws one of the men over the railing and I roll my eyes as my dad caught him.
"Come on, man" Dad said. Dad then threw said man onto the landing. James used a bannister to swing down onto a lower level. I fly down to James's side. A cop aims at James and Dad knocks the gun from his hands with his shield which sticks in the wall. James glared at Dad. Bucky leaps down the stairwell and catches onto a railing. I follow his lead. Steve pulls his shield out of the wall. James then runs down a hallway and leaps off. I fly down, safely landing on the roof of a neighboring building. James gives me a look as he finds the backpack. He picks it up and runs.
"Goddamn it. We are here to help" I muttered but not softly enough because James heard me. He turned to me, glared at me, and kept on running. But before he could get away, someone in all black tackled him. This person gets into a fighting stance and sharp claws come out of the suit. He begins attacking James. I use my powers to throw him back but it doesn't do much. This man is dead set on hurting James. I can hear Sam and my dad communicating via coms. But then a helicopter began shooting. I got hit in the arm by a bullet and I gasped, pain littering my entire body. James looked at me and nodded, letting him know that I was fine. He shook his head and I nodded. I followed him as he jumped off the roof and down a level. We both watched as this masked intruder slid down the building, using his claws. James dropped to street level and I flew down. We both began to run away from this masked intruder. We were being shot at and that lead James and myself to jump down onto a busy road. We then both began running with the cars. I turned to see the masked intruder following us and my dad following them. James and I then began running on the tops of cars, trying to avoid this masked intruder. Still running, James catches a motorcycle and I hop on, wrapping my arms around him. The masked intruder came out of nowhere and jumped towards us. James grabbed him and held his throat. I loosened my grip on James but then I tightened it when the motorcycle tipped. I screamed, tears pricking my eyes. But then James kicked him away and was able to get the motorcycle back up. James put a bomb on top of the tunnel and I took a deep breath that I didn't realize I was holding.
"Goddamn it" I muttered. Before we could truly relax, this masked intruder got the back wheel and both James and I spun off of the motorcycle. Me being me, I landed on my bad arm and let out a scream. But then the masked intruder was standing over James. Dad came out of legit nowhere and got the masked intruder off of James. But then we saw all of the cop cars and all of the people with guns. I took a deep breath and sighed. This is how I die.
"Stand down, now" Rhodey said, in full War Machine getup. I looked to my dad who had a frown on his face. My dad put the shield on his back and I stood between James and my dad. "Congratulations, Cap. You're a criminal" he said and I glared at him, itching to use my powers against him and all these people. They forced James to his knees and we, meaning my uncle, my dad and I, are cuffed. I watch in curiosity as the mysterious man in black takes his mask. He is the son of the king of Wakanda, the one that was killed in Vienna. I look over at James, who is know on the ground. I kneeled down to James.
"Расслабься, Джеймс.Мы вытащить тебя из этого. Папа и я, мы разберемся с этим" (Relax, James. We will get you out of this. Dad and I, we will figure this out). I said and I watched as his eyes widened when I used the word "dad" but then he nodded. I stood back up and glared at T'Challa. I probably understood more than anybody what he was going through but because he was going after my biological father, I didn't very much like this man. We were shoved into cars.
"It's a long car ride" the person up front said and I nodded, feeling quite tired. They sat me next to my dad and I smiled at him, before resting my head on his shoulder. I fell asleep for close to 6 hours and I woke up, turning around and smiled at my second favorite uncle in the world as Clint was obviously my favorite.
"So, you like cats?" Uncle Sam asked and I tried to hold back a giggle. I mean, come on. That is why Uncle Sam is my constant confidant. When I'm feeling down, he can always make me laugh.
"Sam" Dad said and I nudged dad.
"Dad, leave Sam alone. I mean, he kinda has a point" I said and I smiled back at Sam.
"What? Dude shows up dressed like a cat and you don't wanna know more?" Sam asked and I giggled, my laugh filling the car. My dad ignored me which made me slouch.
"Your suit . . . it's Vibranium?" Dad asked this man. I looked at my dad but he was still ignoring me. But then the car went over a bump and I winced. Up until then, I had completely forgotten about my bullet wound. Tears pricked my eyes as the pain hit me. But the sad thing was, no one even noticed. Including my dad.
"The Black Panther has been the protector of Wakanda for generations. A mantle, passed from warrior to warrior. And now, because your friend murdered my father, I also wear the mantle of king. So, I ask you . . . as both warrior and king . . . how long do you think you can keep your friend safe from me?" he said and my jaw dropped. Am I going to lose my dad because of this so-called Black Panther? I just got him.
We got out of the car and I saw James. My heart broke seeing him in the cage. My dad grabbed my bad arm and I winced again but no one seemed to notice again. Goddamn, why can't anyone notice?
I turned to see Sharon and a man that I had never met before. He looked kind of like John Watson, aka Sherlock Holmes sidekick. Really weird.
"What's gonna happen to him?" Dad asked, looking at me.
"Same thing that ought to happen to you. Psychological evaluation and extradition" the man said and I cocked my head, a little confused. Why is Watson here?
"This is Everett Ross, Deputy Task Force Commander," Sharon said and I nodded. Not Watson. "Jeezus, Ava. You're shot. We need a doctor over here" she said as my vision began to get blurry.
I woke up with Steve at my side.
"Sweetheart, why didn't you tell me?" he asked and I gave him a look.
"Maybe because I had just found my biological dad. Maybe because I had gotten in trouble with the motherfucking government" I said and my dad glared at me.
"Language. You act more like your father every day" he said and tears pricked my eyes. I nodded and he sat next to me. "So, are you okay? How do you feel?" he asked and I just nodded.
"I feel fine, Steve" I said, getting up and walking away. Dad put his hand on my shoulder and I threw it off.
"Ava, are you okay?" he asked and I nodded, just chalking it up to nerves. Maybe he just forgot to say biological first. Steve and I walked into a conference room with Tony.
"Hey, you wanna see something cool? I pulled something from Dad's archives. Felt timely" Tony said, showing us two really nice pens. "FDR signed the Lend-Lease bill with these in 1941. Provided support to the Allies when they needed it most" he added and I nodded, not really knowing where this conversation was going.
"Some would say it brought our country closer to war" Dad said and I looked at the floor.
"See? If not for these, you wouldn't be here. I'm trying to . . . what do you call it? That's an olive branch. Is that what you call it?" Tony said. I looked at Tony. He was obviously in pain and I couldn't believe that my dad couldn't see it. I looked out the window and saw Lydia and Lillian kissing and my heart broke. I caught Lydia's eye and I looked away, tears streaming down my cheeks.
"Is Pepper here? I didn't see her" Dad said.
"We're kinda . . . well, not kinda . . ." Tony trailed off.
"Pregnant?" Dad guessed.
"No. Definitely not. We're taking a break. It's nobody's fault" Tony said, looking at my dad and me.
"I'm so sorry, Tony. I didn't know" I said, putting my hand on his arm. That is when he noticed my tears. I just shook my head at him.
"A few years ago, I almost lost her, so I trashed all my suits. Then, we had to mop up HYDRA . . and then Ultron. My fault. And then, and then, and then, I never stopped. Because the truth is I don't wanna stop. I don't wanna lose her. I thought maybe the Accords could split the difference. In her defense, I'm a handful. Yet, Dad was a pain in the ass, but he and Mom always made it work" he explained and I nodded, wiping the tears away.
"You know, I'm glad Howard got married. I only knew him when he was young and single" Dad said and Tony groaned.
"Oh, really? You two knew each other? He never mentioned that. Maybe only a thousand times. God, I hated you" I giggled at Tony's words.
"I don't mean to make things difficult" Dad said and I rolled my eyes. Dad was so naive sometimes.
"I know, because you're a very polite person" Tony said sarcastically.
"If I see a situation pointed south . . . I can't ignore it. Sometimes I wish I could" Dad said and I rolled my eyes again.
"No, you don't" Tony said and I giggled at him.
"No, I don't. Sometimes . . ." Dad said.
"Sometimes I wanna punch you in your perfect teeth. But I don't wanna see you gone. We need you, Cap. So far, nothing's happened that can't be undone, if you sign. We can make the last 24 hours legit. Barnes gets transferred to an American psych-center . . . instead of a Wakandan prison" Tony said and I nodded.
"I'm not saying it's impossible, but there would have to be safeguards" Steve said and I looked over at my dad. I can't even believe he's considering this. They don't want people like me.
"Sure. Once we put out the PR fire, those documents can be amended. I'd file a motion to have you and Ava and Wanda reinstated . . ." Tony said and my heart dropped.
"Wanda? What about Wanda? And what about my daughter?" Dad asked and I nodded, looking up at Steve.
"She's fine. She's confined to the compound, currently. Vision's keeping her company. And your daughter, she caused the event in Lagos so there has to be consequences for that" Tony said and tears appeared in my eyes once more.
"Oh God, Tony! Every time. Every time I think you see things the right way . . ." Dad said, pulling me to his chest.
"What? It's 100 acres with a lap pool. It's got a screening room. There's worse ways to protect people. Maybe Ava can stay there." he added and my dad got up, real angry. He pulled me to my  feet.
"Protection? Is that how you see this? This is protection? It's internment, Tony" he said, pulling me close.
"She's not a US citizen. And your daughter caused a lot of damage, Tony.
"Oh, come on, Tony" my dad said, exasperated.
"And they don't grant visas to weapons of mass destruction" he said and that is when my dad got real mad.
"She's a kid! Ava is just 13 and Wanda is not much older" Steve said, kissing me on the top of the head. Tears pricked my eyes. I had actually liked Tony when we first met but now, he was treating me like I was some weapon to be discarded. Like I wasn't even a person.
"GIVE ME A BREAK! I'm doing what has to be done . . . to stave off something worse" he said, giving me a soft look.
"You keep telling yourself that. Hate to break up the set" Steve said. We walked out of the room and found ourselves with Uncle Sam and Sharon.
"The receipt for your gear" Sharon said and Sam scoffed at her.
" 'Bird costume'? Come on" Sam said.
"I didn't write it." she said, smirking.
"I'm not here to judge you. I just want to ask you a few questions. Do you know where you are, James? I can't help you if you don't talk to me, James" the doctor said and my heart began to race. Something is wrong. Very wrong.
"My name is Bucky," James said.
"Why would the Task Force release this photo, to begin with?" Dad asked, confused.
"Get the word out, involve as many eyes as we can?" Sharon said, confusing lacing her features.
"Right. It's a good way to flush a guy out of hiding. Set off a bomb, get your picture taken. Get seven billion people looking for the Winter Soldier" Dad said and I flinched at Dad calling him the Winter Soldier.
"You're saying someone framed him to find him" Sharon said, looking at both me and my dad.
"Steve, we looked for the guy for two years and found nothing" Sam said, not really understanding.
"We didn't bomb the UN. That turns a lot of heads" Steve said and I looked over at Sharon. She was putting it together.
"Yeah, but that doesn't guarantee that whoever framed him would get him. It guarantees that we would" she said, her eyes going to the computer as she ended. Everything was fitting together. Whoever this "Doctor" was, he wasn't trying to help James. Not in the least. If anything , he was trying to use James to complete some other goal. Some goal that was going to get people hurt. Innocent people. My heart dropped and tears came to my eyes.
"Yeah" Dad muttered. Dad and Sharon had come to the same conclusion that I had but who knows if it was too late.

"Sub-level 5, east wing" Sharon said. We began to run to find James.
"Oh shit" I whispered and this time, no one stopped my language