James Part 1

Before I do this chapter, I want to recommend going to @awriiting profile. These next few chapters will be based on her book Home. Obviously, there will be some spoilers for the end of her book in here so if you want, skip these next few chapters. Again, her book is amazing and the inspiration behind these next few chapters. Her book is based on James's life before Hydra. It tells the story of Steve and James's friendship along with the love of his life, May. She is still working on it and I am so proud of her for how far it has come along. Let's begin the story....

James was beginning to heal in Wakanda. He was beginning to feel like his pre-Hydra self again. But not quite. But he felt like something was missing. Bits and pieces of his old life were coming back to him, but he really didn't understand it. Maybe it was something that Hydra put in him. But today, Steve was coming by, so maybe he could explain what he was remembering. Maybe Steve could explain why something didn't feel right. Why he felt off and has felt this way since he got his memories back due to the doctors in Wakanda.

"James, he is here," Shuri said. James nodded and smiled at the young girl. The younger sister of T'Challa was a smart girl.  She loved science but more than that, she loved her brother. She reminded him a lot of Ava. They had the same caring and loving personalities. He knew that they would get along if they ever had the chance. He hoped that they would. That they would meet.

"Rogers," James said as Steve walked into the room. He had a solemn look on his face. James was confused about what that could mean. Steve was usually a pretty happy person. He always seemed to be in a good mood but not today. Was something happening behind the scenes? Was something happening with Steve's other family? The so-called Avengers?

"Barnes, how are you doing?" Steve asked. James shrugged his shoulders, which resulted in Steve pulling him into a hug, not really knowing what for. James remembered that when Steve was a little twig, he couldn't hug him at all. That made him laugh. He missed twiggy Steve. He missed the Steve that seemed to need him at every turn.

"I'm doing good. Steve, I have gotten some memories lately. Memories that I can't account for based on what you have told me. Am I missing something, Steve?" James asked, a confused look on his face. He just wanted to know who this beautiful brunette was. Her hazel eyes plagued his dreams. "Are these real?" his voice broke. These memories of a woman whom he could not remember, they were slowly breaking him down.

"Can you tell me what these memories consist of?" Steve asked, sitting down on James's bed. Steve knew what this memories were, or at least was pretty sure what they were, but he wanted to make sure of this before telling James something that could change the life that he had grown to know.

"Uhh, her wide hazel eyes plague my every thought. I can see us dancing around the kitchen in the refrigerator light. I can see myself singing to a little girl" James said, his eyes becoming glossed over as his mind drifted. "May" James blurted, not really being able to control it.

"James," Steve said and that is when James knew. There was something that Steve had kept from him. "Listen here, James. I didnt want to tell you until I knew that you wouldn't go back into Winter Soldier mode, okay. And I believe that now. With all of my heart", Steve explained but James was still furious. And could you blame him? There was this huge part of his past that he didn't know about. That Steve refused to tell him. To quote-unquote "protect him"

"Who is she?" he asked but Steve just stayed there. Silent and stone-faced. "Steve, please. Who am I seeing?" he asked, obviously upset. James had believed, ever since he stopped being the Winter Soldier, that he had no one but Steve left from his previous life but to learn that that might not be the case, it hurt. Especially since it came from the person that he trusted the most.

"Buck, you're seeing your wife. You were married before you became the Winter Soldier. Before you met Ava's mom" Steve explained and James nodded. Of course, I had a wife and kid. "James, she is alive" Steve said and his heart stopped. She's alive. She is still alive? I want to see her again. I want to hug her and tell her how sorry I am. James fell to his knees, tears streaming down his face.

"What is her name?" James asked, wanting to know whom he had married before Hydra corrupted him. Steve, at first, shook his head but James persisted. "Please, Steve, I need to know" he added and Steve gave in to his friend's request.

"Her name is May. May Ashlyn Schmidt turned Barnes" he explained and James smiled, remembering May a little bit better. He remembers how kind she was. But he remembered how, if you hurt her or her loved ones, she was ruthless. James smiles as he reminisces that that is why he fell in love with her.

"James, she left you this" Steve said, handing him a scrapbook. He remembered her beginning to do this and he was automatically brought to tears. Steve was brought to tears watching his friend cry. He took James into his arms, allowing for the soldier to cry into his chest. As much as he wanted James to get to see May again, it was best to see this first.
Steve looked up and looked at the scrapbook. The scrapbook had a picture of May and James on the front of it. There were words on it