Chapter 24

Chapter 24

            “What?!” Lisa and I snapped in unison.

            “You heard me,” Jace nodded.

            “Jace, I can’t be that person. I’m sorry. Why do you want me so much?” I asked. “I mean I’m like a freaking peasant compared to Lisa…and even some of your other fan girls.”

            “Audrey, I am in love with you,” Jace said.

            My eyes widened but I didn’t let a beat pass. “Jace you don’t really know me.”

            “I know you are a stubborn girl who loves and hates with her whole heart. You are beautiful but sometimes self-conscious. You have strong beliefs and you stand by those beliefs. You hate when people lie to you or force you into something. You also hate it when people use you. You set boundaries to keep people away because you’re scared. The only person you’ve ever really trusted is Alec. How’s that for someone who doesn’t know you?” he said breathing heavily when he was done.

            I swallowed hard, I was absolutely speechless. All of that was spot on. It kind of made me mad but it was so nice I couldn’t be anything but flattered. It proved something I didn’t want. It proved that he cared enough to get to know me and…learn who I am.

            “You found her and didn’t bother to even text me?” Alec ran up putting his hand on my shoulder. “Are you okay?”

            “I’m fine,” I sighed meeting Jace’s eyes.

            “Audrey, I am so sorry for the things I did. I should’ve been nicer and most supportive over the fact that you were going through a major change,” Jace said, his voice strained.

            “It’s too late for that,” Alec snapped.

            “Alec, stop,” I said. “Jace, I know you’re sorry. But I can’t go with you. It’s not the way I am. It’s not the person I am. I don’t go with someone because they have money, or have great people skills. I—“

            “You love Alec, I know,” Jace snorted.

            “Jace, I am truly sorry about it,” I said before turning to Alec. “We should go.”

            He took my hand and we walked back to where his car sat by an antiques store. I heard footsteps running behind us.

            “Wait, Audrey. Can I give you something?” Jace asked running after us.

            “Jace, you don’t have to give me anything. You really don’t owe me anything at all,” I said holding my hand out to stop him.

            “I want you to have this,” Jace said pulling a small black box out of his pocket.

            “Jace…” he opened the box and in it was a silver charm bracelet with one charm of a bird on it. “I can’t accept that.”

            “Yes you can. I got it for you…it was going to be your wedding present from me but…I’ve decided I’ll let you go,” he said placing it gently in my hand. “The bird represents your freedom and individuality. No bird is ever weighed down, and no bird is ever the same.”

            I pulled him to me, hugging him close. I was wrong about him. He was really sweet and caring, but he wasn’t for me. There is a lucky girl out there who will love him right, it may be Lisa…or it maybe someone else. “Jace you do have someone out there fit for you. I’m just not that girl,” I whispered in his ear.

            He nodded as we pulled back. “I know. Keep the bracelet, please.”

            I smiled and took the box from him. I put a hand on his cheek. “Thank you.”

            “Hope you guys have…a good life,” Jace said slowly waving at Alec.

            “You too, man,” Alec said.

            “Maybe I’ll see you again when we get back in town,” I said touching his shoulder.

            He nodded. “Bye, Audrey,” he said taking a step back.

            I could see the hurt in his eyes as I back up to Alec. I waved and got in Alec’s car.

            When we were back at the cabin I walked to the bedroom and decided I was too tired to do anything but sleep. My stomach got that sour feel in it again but I pushed it back and went to sleep. I shouldn’t feel so bad…I finally got Alec, like I wanted. Jace’s face kept flashing in my mind. He’d find someone that could love him like he deserved…right?

            I felt a hand on my shoulder making me roll over. “Stop stressing. Everyone will be happier. Jace can be with someone who really truly loves him. And I can be with the girl that I’ve loved for years.”

            I gave him a tight smile. “Alec, I just—“

            He kissed my lips, cutting off my protests. His hands wrapped my arms around his neck before traveling to my waist. I knew he was right and that I shouldn’t worry. This was his way of distracting me…it was a damned good way of doing so. I tightened my hold on him and met his lips again.

            His arms pulled me up to meet his body with mine. Being with him felt great…felt wonderful. Being with him was all I’ve wanted for a long time.

            “I love you,” I whispered pulling back a bit.

            “I love you back,” he smiled leaning down to kiss me again.