Chapter 16

Chapter 16

            “Audrey, let me in,” Jace said for the fifteenth time as he pounded on my door.

            “Not happening,” I said from my bed. “I’m mad at you.”

            “You need to eat,” Jace said. “You haven’t eaten in two whole days.”

            “Well then you shouldn’t have taken Alec out of my daily life,” I told him.

            “You’re acting like a child, Audrey,” Jace grumbled.

            “Soo?” I asked.

            “Audrey, just come out,” he’d decided to go with begging. “Please.”

            “No,” I shook my head and lied back on my bed.

            “Audrey, get out here,” he demanded.

            That only made me give him the silent treatment. I was so pissed at him.

            “Audrey?” He asked, in a worried voice. “Are you okay?”

            I didn’t answer.

            “Audrey!” he yelled. “Open this damn door!”

            “No!” I yelled back.

            After a few loud bangs the door flew open making me jump up. Jace stood there his face red with anger and his hand rubbing his shoulder.

            “What the hell?” I screamed.

            “You wouldn’t answer me, or open the door,” Jace complained.

            “Because I’m upset with you,” I snapped.

            “You need to eat,” he said. “Come with me.”

            I crossed my arms and sat down at the foot of my bed. “No.” I didn’t care that I was starving; I was not taking anything from him.

            “Audrey, get up and come with me downstairs so you can eat,” Jace said in a stern voice.

            I shook my head. He walked to me and grabbed my arm in a painfully hard grip. He pulled me to my feet and practically dragged me down the stairs. When we reached the dining room—where his parents, siblings, and cousin sat—he threw me into a chair and sat down beside me—after pushing me in of course.

            “Jace, what the hell?” Gina asked after a moment, as they all stared at me shocked.

            “She wouldn’t come out of her room so I brought her here myself,” he said in an angry tone.

            “Look at her arm,” Gina said.

            “Man, how hard did you grab her?” Nate asked.

            Jace looked over at me and straight to where I was rubbing my arm—which was wear his grip had been. He smacked my hand away and brushed his thumb over it as he examined it.

            “She’ll be fine,” he said before turning to the plate in front of him.

            The chef had made Chicken Parmesan for dinner with a pinch of Parsley on top. It looked and smelled warm and delicious but I had to remind myself I was on strike.

            “Let us eat,” Jace said taking a bit of his food.

            I tried not to look at or smell mine. It was so hard. I just wanted one bite, but I couldn’t take one.

            “Aren’t you going to eat, Audrey?” Ann asked before taking the small bite off of the fork into her mouth.

            I didn’t speak, I just shook my head.

            “Yes she is,” Jace snapped. He grabbed my fork and cut off a small bite. He held it in front of my face. “Do I have to feed you?”

            I shook my head. He slammed the fork down making me jump. Then he grabbed my arm again and pulled me into the foyer. “Dammit, Audrey, I am done with these stupid games. Get your ass in there and eat the damn food. Do you understand me?”

            I swallowed and nodded.

            “Good, now go,” he snapped.           

            I rushed back into the dining room and took my seat. I picked up my fork and ate the bite that he had put on there. He came back in and sat down again. I could feel their eyes on me, including Jace’s.

            The food was amazing, but I didn’t want him knowing that. I ate a second bite after swallowing the first.

            “Jace, what the hell did you do to her?” Chord asked after a moment. “She looks scared for her life.”

            Jace swallowed before speaking. “I told her how it works here. She’s just listening.”

            “So the wedding is in two days,” Ann said. “I can’t wait!”

            “Yeah, we need to figure out what we’re doing for Audrey’s bachelorette party,” Gina clapped.

            “She’s not having one,” Jace interrupted.

            “What?” Ann and Gina asked in unison.

            “You heard me. She’s not having one,” Jace repeated.

            “Why not?” Gina asked as I shoved another bite in my mouth. I was halfway done with it, and I was already getting full.

            “She’s on restriction,” Thomas said before Jace could speak. “She kissed that boy.”

            My eyes met Thomas’ with a cold glare. I dropped my fork and stood up. “I didn’t kiss him he kissed me. But you know what I don’t care. I’m in love with Alec and I have been for a long time. I cannot and will not let those feelings just disappear,” I said in a low growl-like voice.

            “Audrey,” Jace warned standing up.

            I allowed my eyes to trail him up and down once before I walked away. I walked straight out the front door. Unfortunately it would take a bit to get back to town, but I didn’t give a shit. I wanted to go stay with Alec.

            “Audrey!” He yelled from the door as I walked. “Get your ass back in this house.”

            I just kept going. I didn’t look back, I didn’t say a word, and I didn’t run. I only walked.

            “Audrey!” He screamed.

            I took off running. I knew it was stupid, and I knew he would find me. But I couldn’t and didn’t care. I just went.