Chapter 8

Chapter 8

            Alec and I stayed in my room for a bit, talking, bringing up memories. But after a while Jace came upstairs.

            “I was wondering, Audrey, if you would like to go out to dinner with my friends and I,” Jace said.

            “Um,” I looked over at Alec.

            He nodded to Jace. “Go.”

            “Okay,” I smiled. “I’ll be downstairs in a moment.”

            Jace nodded and retreated back to his friends.

            I stood up off my bed and brought Alec up with me. I hugged him for a moment. “I’ll see you later,” I said pulling back.

            “You got it, beautiful,” he smiled kissing my cheek before walking out.

            I looked down at my sweats and tank top. “This probably isn’t what I should wear,” I thought.

            “Would you like me help you choose something to wear?” Jace asked making me jump.

            “You scared me,” I accused.

            “Sorry,” he laughed. “So do you?”

            “Please,” I nodded.

            He walked to my wardrobe and pulled out a black knee length, tight fitted, dress and brought it over to me. He smiled. “This one.”

            I looked at it. It had a low cut collar line. “Uh,” I bit my lip. “Are you sure? It seems a bit… showy.”

            “You need clothes that show of that body of yours. It’s wrong to waste such a beautiful body,” he said running his hand from under my shoulder down to my hips and back up to the middle of my side.

            I rolled my eyes and took the dress out of his hand. “Either turn around or get out so I can change,” I ordered.

            He smirked. “I’m going to be your husband in two weeks; you’re worried about me seeing you naked?”

            “Yes,” I nodded. “Now turn away.”

            He rolled his eyes and turned around.

            I slipped out of my sweats and tank top and the slid into the dress. I walked to the mirror. It defined my hourglass figure perfectly. It had a slit up to my mid-thigh on one side. It was cut low in the front and back of the collar line. In the back it went all the way to my lower back with a see through lacy design.

            “See, it looks amazing on you,” Jace said sliding his arms around my waist from behind me.

            “I don’t know…it looks…”

            “Sexy,” he breathed on my neck, making me shiver—which only annoyed me.

            I pulled away. “Where are the shoes?”

            “Ah, the shoes,” he smiled walking back to a tall cabinet beside the wardrobe—that I didn’t notice before.

            He opened it and there were ten rows of shoes, five pairs in each row. My jaw dropped to the floor. They were amazing. He brought out a black pair of flats. “Wear these.”

            I took them out of his hand and walked to the bed to slip them on my feet. Jace walked over and took my hand towing me downstairs.

            Allan and Greg whistled in unison.

            “You look hot, woman,” Greg said.

            “Greg,” Allan snapped. “Sorry about him. But you do look beautiful.”

            “Thank you,” I smiled.

            “I didn’t know you were bringing her, Jace,” Lisa snapped.

            “Of course I am,” Jace smiled at me.

            Lisa smiled. “What are you doing this weekend?” she asked Jace.

            “Oh…um,” Jace looked around, for a moment then pulled away from me to walk into the next room. He returned a moment later with a small black book. “Oh…we…Lisa…”

            “That’s right, Jace, we planned this date over a month ago. You can’t just back out because of your new fiancée. That would not be fair,” she said crossing her arms and glaring at me.  

            “It would be wrong of me to go out on a date with you, Lisa,” Jace said returning to my side.

            “But you promised,” she pouted.

            “Lisa, it would be wrong,” Jace said.

            I’d finally had enough of her stupid voice. “Jace, go on the damned date,” I snapped turning and stomping my way to my room and slamming the door behind me.

            There was a knock at my door after a few minutes of me silently lying on my bed.

            “Go away, Jace,” I snapped.

            “It’s not Jace,” said the person. “It’s Allan.”

            I debated for a moment then sighed. “Come on in.”

            He opened the door and slipped in. “Are you okay, Audrey?” he asked.

            “Yeah, it’s just…I can’t stand people like her,” I said. “I mean it’s not like I chose this. I’m in love with my best friend…and I can’t be with him because Jace decided I am the one he wants to be his wife.”

            “Sorry, about that,” Allan said.

            “It’s not like it was your fault,” I said.

            “But I feel bad that you had your choice taken away from you. It’s not fair,” he said sitting on the bed beside me.

            “Thanks,” I smiled.

            He patted my knee. “No problem. Are you coming to dinner?”

            I shook my head. “No, I’m going to stay here.”

            “Okay, I’ll see you later Audrey,” he said standing up.

            I waved as he walked out. The door opened again and Jace walked in, closing the door behind him, and leaned over me. “I didn’t agree to go on the date with her, Audrey. And I’m not going to dinner with them tonight. You and I are going to spend some time together,” he said leaning down to kiss my cheek.

            “What kind of time together?” I asked as he rolled over to sit beside me.

            He placed his hand on my knee before speaking. “I don’t know. We can do whatever you want. What do you and Alec do?” he asked.

            “....we play Mortal Kombat,” I said with a sly smile.