Chapter 6

Chapter 6

I took a deep breath and looked at myself in the mirror. I was in a blue t-shirt and blue jeans, with my worn-out black converse. I wasn't just the invisible Aubrey that I had been I was...Jace Goldman's fiancée. I turned on my TV to the local news.

"The official wedding date is two weeks from today," the woman said. "Ann Goldman was nice enough to tell us that the lovely bride, Audrey Kempt, has found her lovely dress—which in case the groom is watching we will not show until after the wedding. Have a nice day everyone."

I turned it off, everyone knew. I was the one he'd chosen. There was a whole club of girls that swore they were in love with him. I was not in that club. My door opened making me turn around.

"You look nice," he commented.

"Only the best for you, Jace," I said sarcastically.

"So did you see the news?" he asked.

"Yep," I nodded. "Unfortunately I will end up mauled by a pack of wild fan-girls at school today."

"What?" he asked.

"There's literally an entire club at my school who worship you...and the president of said club swore you'd choose her. She sent you gift baskets and pictures of her. She was probably crushed when you didn't," I explained.

"I could come with you...protect you," Jace smirked.

"I'll be fine. I have to talk to Alec," I said.

"He goes to your school?" asked Jace.

"Yes, and don't worry, he won't...take it that far," I said. "He's my only friend...my best friend. I've known him since I was four."

"I'm really sorry that our engagement ruined things between the two of you," Jace said walking to me.

"It sucks..." I nodded. "So don't you have school today?" I asked eying his PJ pants and bare chest.

"No, we go Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday," he said with a shake of his head. "Why? Is this making you uncomfortable?" he asked gesturing to his bare chest—which I must admit was very muscular.

I swallowed. "No," I said.

"Liar. Hey I'll throw on some clothes and come with you today. I'd like my fiancée to sport me around to her classmates," he said backing out of the room before I could argue.

"Cocky bastard," I said under my breath.

"I heard that," he said peeking back in my room. He reached a hand out towards me. "Come on."

"Jace, you really don't have to—"

"No arguments, Audrey. I'm going. I want to see where it is you go to school. Don't worry I'll let you work things out with Alec, I want you to be happy," he said.

I almost spoke up and said "then let me go." But I didn't. I just nodded and walked with him. He brought me into another bedroom and smiled at it. It was dark blue and gold. I assumed it was Jace's room.

"This is my room. It will be yours too...when we are officially married," he said turning towards me.

I nodded. "Oh..."

He walked to his wardrobe and pulled out a white button up shirt before walking to the dresser and pulling out jeans. He set them both on the bed and slipped his pajama pants down his legs.