Chapter 13

Chapter 13

            I took a deep breath as we reached the bottom of the stairs where Jace’s parents and brother were greeting a guy about our age and an old woman. Jace had just finished hugging the woman when he noticed me.

            “Audrey, this is my grandmother Aggie and my cousin Chord,” Jace said bringing me forward by my hand. Chord had black hair, that was the same style as Alec’s, his eyes were a piercing gold and he was skinny but muscular.

            “Oh, you are so beautiful,” Grandmother Aggie smiled pulling me into a hug.

            I smiled. “Thank you. It’s nice to meet you.”

            Chord whistled. “You are hot,” he said. “Don’t I get a hug?”

            “If you promise to behave,” Jace bargained.

            Chord hissed. “That could be hard, especially when hugging a beauty like her. But I will.” He said stepping forward to hug me. When he hugged me his hands slid down to my ass. I pulled back as soon as his hands touched my rear.

            “Chord,” Jace snapped pulling me to him.

            “She’s hard to resist,” Chord grinned.

            “Well do your best,” Jace said through his teeth.

            Chord leaned in to whisper to me. “You know I’m in the market for a bride, if you decide you don’t want Jace here just know I’m available.”

            I rolled my eyes. “I’d rather be stuck with a rabid bear.”

            Jace and his siblings laughed at that. Chord pulled back and crossed his arms. “We’ll see.”

            They moved on and someone else walked up. It was couple and a young girl who looked about twelve.

            “This is my Aunt Mary, Uncle Lonny, and little cousin Jenny,” Jace whispered in my ear. He squeezed my hip before reaching out to hug his Aunt and Uncle. His cousin was watching me intently as he hugged her. “This is my lovely fiancée Audrey.”

            “She’s pretty,” Jenny said with a bright smile.

            She looked similar to her young mother. She and her mother had long dark hair, brown eyes, heart shaped faces, and slender figures. The father looked a lot like Thomas, his brother probably.

            Jace allowed Jenny and her parent to hug me and say hello. I had to admit Jace’s family was really nice. After them were another Aunt, Uncle, and twin cousins. Finally there wasn’t anyone else attending tonight.

            After I made sure to meet everyone I wandered into another room filled with statues and amazing little artifacts. I walked into a room that was connected to that, it was a movie room… it looked just like a mini movie theater. I sat down in the front and took a breath. Meeting Jace’s family was kind of…overwhelming.

            “And she’s alone,” a voice said from the door. I turned to see Chord standing there with a small smirk on his face. He walked down and sat beside me. “I’ve been waiting to talk to you.”

            “Really?” I asked unsure. “You didn’t seem like you wanted to talk earlier.”

            “I do. You’re beautiful, please forgive me about earlier. It’s my reputation in this family,” Chord said. “Really though, are you happy?”

            “I don’t know anymore. I was pissed at first but now…I don’t know,” I said with a shrug.

            “I am looking for a wife and I was wondering if you could help. I want to make things more comfortable for her…and…look can you just help me choose?”

            I nodded. “Okay, sure…when?”

            “Tomorrow.”

            “We should go to the mall. That’s where Jace found me,” I suggested.

            “Sounds great,” Chord smiled. “Thank you, Audrey. I owe you for this.”

            I smiled back at him, figuring the conversation was over. He leaned in and kissed my cheek. I backed up. “Why did you do that?”

            “You are beautiful,” he said leaning in father kissing my lips.

            “Chord stop,” I said pushing on his chest. He didn’t. “Chord, please, stop it.”

            “Audrey, I have to repay you somehow,” Chord whispered.

            “Not this way,” I snapped pushing against his hard chest.

            He was kissing my neck as his hand was traveling up my leg. “Audrey, you…Mm.”

            “Chord!” Jace’s voice boomed from the door, the lights flipped on immediately.

            Chord was quick to jump away. “It was her. Your new wife is a slut.”

            “I know that isn’t true,” Jace said as he calmly walked down the aisle.

            “Yes it is. She came in here. I came to ask her to help me find a wife tomorrow when she pulled me on her. I couldn’t stop her…she…you know she’s beautiful and…so hard to resist. You wouldn’t have chosen her if she wasn’t those things,” Chord said.

            “Audrey,” Jace said holding out his hand.

            I took it allowing him to pull me up and to him. He kissed my forehead and hugged me to his chest.

            “Jace, you know I’m telling the truth. I’m your cousin,” Chord said.

            “That is exactly why I know you are lying. All you’ve ever been is sex hungry,” Jace snapped.

            “But…”

            “Go to the dining room. It’s time for dinner,” Jace said. Chord walked around us and left us alone. Jace pushed me back so I was at arm’s length. “Audrey…are you okay?”

            I nodded. “Yeah,” my voice was a tad hoarse. I cleared my throat before continuing. “I’m okay. At first he really was talking about me helping him find a wife…then…he did that. I’m really sorry.”

            “It wasn’t your fault,” Jace whispered rubbing my shoulder. “Do you want to go to dinner?”

            I shook my head. “Can I just go to my room?”

            He nodded. “Of course. Do you want me to go with you?”

            I shook my head. “No, go on to dinner. Just tell them I wasn’t feeling well.”

            “Okay,” Jace said. “I’ll be up there right after.”

            I forced a smile as I nodded. “I’ll see you then.

            Jace walked with me to the stairs and he watched me walk up them. When I got in my room I locked my door and went to my bed. I was exhausted; who knew all of this crap could make a girl so tired.