1. Elijah Mikaelson

It had been thirty years. Thirty amazing, adventurous, love-filled years. But Thirty years nonetheless. And, to be frank, you were getting impatient.

Impatient with what one might ask? Your lack of marriage proposal, that's what. You would think Elijah, being one of the more traditional of the Mikaelson siblings, would have proposed to you by now. Yet, thirty years of being together and in love and happy, and no sign of the question coming.

You weren't sure why. Sure, marriage is just a paper and it doesn't really mean anything. You were happy as long as you had Elijah, but dammit you wanted to marry him. It didn't matter if the reasons were ridiculous and the whole thing was pretty much pointless, useless, and meaningless. You just wanted to be his wife and him to be your husband, and you just couldn't understand what was holding him back. You felt lost and confused now. Was something wrong? Did he not want to marry you? Did he not think this relationship would last?

He was over a thousand years old, so maybe you were just one of many loves he would have in his life. Maybe he wasn't planning on keeping you. Maybe he didn't want to be kept by you. It was a constant thought in the back of your mind, and it was making you feel ill.

Sucking in a breath, you pushed through the door to Klaus's study.

"Busy," Klaus said without looking up from some paperwork.

"I just need a minute, please," you said quickly, feeling like your heart was going to burst out of your chest. Could you do this? Once you bought it up there was no going back. Klaus would know what you wanted. It would be out there in the world, unable to be taken back. Could you handle that? What if he says what you fear? What if it's worse?

"Love?" Klaus asked as he looked at you seriously from his chair with a frown on his face and concern colouring his voice.

You looked at him like a deer in the headlights, as if you hadn't been the one coming in and disturbing him. Your heartbeat impossibly faster. Oh god, what were you doing? Turn back around! Say nevermind!!

"You're worrying me, Love," Klaus said as he got up and walked over to you.

"I-"

"Breath," Klaus instructed you. You tried. "Come," Klaus said next, taking you by the arm and guiding you to the loveseat in the study. He sat you down on it before sitting beside you. He held your hand and waited for you to calm down. "When you're ready, you tell me what's wrong," he said calmly.

You nodded, trying desperately to keep the near panic attack at bay. If this was what you felt like trying to bring up the topic with Klaus, how could you possibly bring it up with Elijah?

Five minutes went by, your mind and heart racing. Ten minutes went by. Twelve. Klaus was getting impatient. Fifteen. Your heart was still frantic. Sixteen. Klaus shifted, turning to you and opened his mouth.

"I want to marry Elijah," you blurted out.

Frozen in place, his eyes wide, Klaus stared at you.

"Finally!" he exclaimed after a moment.

You blinked. "What?"

"It's about bloody time," Klaus laughed.

You blinked again. "What?"

"We've all been waiting for this for years. Decades, actually. You know we have a bet on to see when it happens?" he said, his eyes dancing in mirth.

"WHAT?!"

Klaus laughed, a big grin on his face. "I'm going to win."

You stared, speechless.

"Love?" Klaus frowned again and looked you over. "You okay? What's wrong?"