Chapter 2

My wide smirk wipes off my face as soon as I enter my English class. Don't get me wrong, I love English to bits but . . .

Carter has the same English class as me.

My heart clenches at the fact that he made zero efforts to apologize or anything. I didn't even get a single text from him.

My legs carry me to my seat near him. Carter's eyes immediately find mine. I remember how much I used to love his eyes but now, I despise it like I despise him.

"Hey Lexi, can we uh talk today? During lunch maybe?"

"Um sure." I say.

"Cool, let's meet at the gym during lunch then."

Before I can even say anything else Ms. Finlay enters. The class starts with only one thought on my mind.

What does Carter want us to talk about?

-

"Uh . . Where are you going? The cafeteria is this way." Nellie asks pointing to where the cafeteria is. It's lunch time.

I stay silent as I look at a green plant which now seem to be the most fascinating thing ever.

"Please, don't tell me you're meeting that cheater." Ellie says.

My silence confirms her answer.

"Why are you meeting him?" They both ask. Whereas Nellie's own is soft spoken, Ellie practically screeches.

"He said we should." I say.

Ellie scoffs, "So you're going?"

"Yeah." I say, "It sounded urgent."

"Well then, we're coming with you." Ellie says.

"You guys don't have to." I say shaking my head., "I'll tell you everything when I come back."

"If you say so."

"Okay then, I'll get going." I say as I walk to the school's gym.

It doesn't take a genius to know the two are following me.

When I get there, I spot Carter at the empty gym, just casually using his phone.

"Hey." I call out, making him notice my presence.

"Oh you came. I thought you weren't going to come. So how are you?" Carter asks ever so causally as he puts his phone away.

"Oh please, cut the small talk. Get straight to the *bleep* point." Ellie says out of their hiding place.

Oh, how classic.

Carter looks slightly scared at how, well, unfriendly Ellie's tone is, "I uh have to tell you something."

"Please, don't say it was an accident because no one's going to buy that." Ellie bellows again.

"Shush!" Nellie slaps her back.

"Don't -"

"Really guys?" I throw them a look at their 'hiding' place.

"Oh carry on, we were just leaving." Ellie smiles sweetly.

"Your friends are um something else." Carter says making Ellie throw daggers at him.

"Can we just get straight to the point?" I ask clearly frustrated.

"Yeah. So uh, Lexi, I'm sorry about what happened last week. I'm afraid we need to break up." Carter says somewhat nervously under the intensive glare of Ellie.

"Wait, are you breaking up with me?!" I gasp.

"You could say that."

"I'm supposed to break up with you! Not the other other way round." I shout, "So yeah Carter, it's over between us!"