Chapter 6

Abhi's POV

Ridhi and I were enjoying our prolonged weekend in Goa. There we met her twin sister, Nidhi. Such a contemporary beauty she is. Her eyes speak volumes of innocence. I didn't know even eyes could speak louder but she was very good at masking it. She is fun and adorable to be with, but she seems to be an introvert. She is the right opposite of Ridhi. Nidhi seems to be calmer and more composed. Her choice of words is not deliberate, it was more natural and neutral. She is not an attention seeker and someone who minds her own business, but she has a chirpy side, too. I never knew a nerdy like could be so casual engaging people in conversation. I have not seen such a humble girl of her age.

I sensed how uncomfortable Ridhi felt to introduce her to me. She felt that I might have misunderstood and judge Nidhi for her appearance, but it happens to be she was the 'Commoner a.k.a angel who saved me. When she saw me, she passed a genuine smile which melts any heart and she asked me 'hey stranger, have you completely healed from your injuries? How are you now?' I was quite taken aback and then the logic hit me. How did she know about the accident? And then something struck my mind and I asked her 'commoner???' When she nodded, I didn't think twice, I woke up from my place and went next to her for a side hug which she gladly reciprocated. The smell... the same sandalwood smell which she left behind the other day.

Even after coming back to my place, I could still smell her. It wasn't any chemical made; it was a pure sandalwood smell... I knew it well because Radhika di uses them. Then only I realized she smells natural... so eco-friendly. No smell of branded cosmetics and perfumes...Simply smells like a wildflower... Hey, wait!!! Why am I even thinking about her? Mentally face-palming myself I came around saying 'stop overthinking... she is your honewali saali sahiba (to be sister-in-law). However, on the contrary, I also told her not to call me jiju (brother-in-law) when she addressed me as such. Somehow, I couldn't digest when she called me that. I suddenly felt very old. I realized her face draining but she masked it very quickly, so I told her to call me Abhimanyu and I would like her to be my friend than a sister-in-law. I was honest when I said that. Maybe she has understood the honesty in my words, so she quickly agreed to what I said and gave me another ravishing genuine smile.

After a couple of days of holiday, we went back to our places got busy with our day-to-day routine. One day, Ridhi gave me a call at midday and said she has informed her parents about us and they wanted to meet me. I was shocked as well as delighted because she used to say she is not ready to be committed and introduce me to the family. Composing myself I asked her, 'what's the sudden occasion, Ridhi? I can't believe you're asking me to meet your parents. Well, if that's the case, I will meet them next weekend. Is that okay with you?' She just hummed as a response and suddenly said 'actually my over-smart sister spilt the beans to my parents, so I couldn't avoid it.' I could feel her annoyance there which agitated me a little. So, I lashed her back profusely, 'come on Ridhi! Today or tomorrow, we will be still informing our parents about us. Why make a fuss?' and her reply was just 'whatever!' and she hung the phone. I was rather dejected with her behaviour, but I tried to maintain cool so that things won't get awkward.

I went to meet her parents and they were happy having me around. Especially her father was elated when I said I wanted to marry his daughter and if they give their consent, I will bring my family to ask for her hand for marriage, which he gladly accepted. And after that, things were progressing fast from our elders' side. Both families met and they got instantly connected. Everyone was happy but I sensed that Ridhi was being distant. Whenever I asked her, she shrugged off and said she was tired.

After talking and getting to know for over 6 months, both families arranged an engagement party for us, so that we would be tied to a sacred bond. I was indeed over the moon because I am going to be Ridhi's soon-to-be husband. During the engagement, everyone agreed the marriage to be held in 6 months' time. Everything was going smoothly and happily until I realized a drastic change of behaviour from Ridhi. She was literally avoiding us and always tried to resonate about postponing the marriage. I was quite taken aback when she said she is not ready for marriage and that made me snarl at her like an angry bull. She was shocked and cried which made me feel bad and I told her I will speak to both families.

But it didn't stop there. She started to be picky and grumpy all the time. We fight for some lame reasons. I thought maybe she was stressed with all the marriage thing, and I even asked for Nidhi's help in this matter to which she gladly agreed. So, I arranged a simple date in a cosy restaurant. When Ridhi, Nidhi, and I went to the restaurant our purpose was to sort out her problem. However, all the time she was busy on her phone either talking or texting. She clearly showed that she was avoiding us and our conversation. So, Nidhi started 'di what is it that bothers you? You have been distant ever since your marriage has been fixed. Is there anything that we could do for you?'

'mujhe itni jaldhi shaadi nai karny hai... Maine kahin baar aap sabse keh chuki hun... (I don't want to get married this early. I have told that many times to everyone) but all of you just don't care what I am feeling or saying. So, stop acting as you care. And Nidhi I know you will be very happy seeing me miserable because you wanted me to be in such a situation in the future, so now you can see it live.' She was indeed flinched to what Ridhi said. She felt insulted being accused in front of me. 'di stop spatting nonsense. We wanted to help you. Aren't you happy with this marriage? Abhi is your choice of man, even you know that! Then what's the hindrance? Why are you behaving like this?' That made Ridhi's blood boil and she slapped Nidhi right across her cheeks before giving a deadly glare and said, 'both of you better stay out of my issues.' And with that, she walked out of the café without listening to us.

I lost my temper and broke one of the glasses from the table and then only I saw Nidhi who was again flinched as though she wakened up from a trance. In a jiffy I saw many emotions in her eyes; anger, frustration, hurt, and sadness, however, she again masked it quickly and came to my side. Taking a deep breath, she quickly removed her shawl around her neck and said, 'Come on Abhimanyu. Let's tend your wound first and we talk about other things later. She even paid for my treatment and medication. All the way sending her home, none of us initiated any conversation. But I was getting again annoyed with the awkward silence, so I decided to break it. 'Nidhi, I am sorry about Ridhi's behaviour. I...I really am... Please...' she cut me off and said 'Abhimanyu, I know my sister, she is like that but she will be okay after a while... After all, this is siblings' fight and we will patch up again... hahaha... so chill.' She said nonchalantly. She still had the same killer smile plastered on her face and it was absolutely stunning and innocent. I couldn't help myself but smile at her antics.