two

Amity p.o.v

there was a knock at my door, i lift my head from my schoolwork and got up from my desk, i walk over to my door and open it. the butler was waiting outside the door. "miss Amity, breakfast is ready. your mother would like you to join." he said taking a bow.

"thank you, tell mother i'll be right down." i tell him, closing my door again. any meal with family only meant two things, it was either about owning the family business or about a grade my parents weren't happy with. i let out a sigh and walk over to my mirror, i made sure i looked presentable and walked out of my room. i walk down the hallway past the many rooms we had. i walk down one of our many staircases and ventured my way into the dining room.

we had a long table with both my parents at each end, the twins sat next to each other in the middle of the table, while my seat was across from them. i sat down and my mother started to speak. "how did you sleep Amity, dear?" she asked looking over to me.

"it was alright. i'm sorry for being late, i was just finishing up some schoolwork to get ahead on graduation." i tell her as butlers started to pour in with our meals.

"i see. i actually called you and your siblings to talk about the business." mother states, turning to my dad. called it.

"as you know the business needs a heir to take over when me and your mother go into retirement." my dad states looking between me and the twins. "we have decided who we would like that to be." please don't be me, please don't be me.

"Amity, we have decided to choose you for taking on the business." my mother stated, not even letting a moment of silence creep after what my dad said. please end me.

"thank you mother, thank you father." i said bowing my head to each of them. i look over to the twins, they looked over at each other and then to me. i could tell they felt bad. they didn't want it just as much as me, but i knew that they were sad i had to be the one chosen.

we eat in total silence. once excused i go back to walk to my room. i hear feet run up behind me "Mittens." Em faltered, i turn around to see the twins side by side.

"we're sorry Mittens." Ed grieved, eyebrows furrowed. "we know this wasn't your dream."

i let out a sigh. "it's whatever i guess, i really thought they would've given it to you Ed." i say crossing my arms.

"you could always say no." Em advised trying to come up with an idea.

"sis that's a horrible idea." i said shifting my weight to one side. "come with me." i said turning around and heading to my room. once in my room i shut and lock the door. "look, if i say no i would most likely be horribly punished. it's best if i just do it. remember when you dyed and cut my hair? it would be that times a thousand." i say turning around to look at the twins.

"but Mittens, you're almost eighteen. you can just say no and leave. me and Em have money saved, you can come live with us when we move out." Ed tried reassuring.

"look, you two don't need me just riding on your back." state crossing my arms. "you two should already be out of here. you guys are nineteen, why won't you guys leave?"

"because Mittens, we're staying for you." Em continued. "if we leave, you'll be here alone and we can't do that to our little sister." Em sets her hand on my shoulder and looks at me with a furrowed brow. concern laced in her facial expressions. i let out a sigh and uncross my arms.

"thank you, you guys. i'm honestly happy you two are my siblings." i say giving them a weak smile.

"plus if we left who would cover for you when you go to sneak out." Ed provoked putting his hand under his chin. he did have me there.

the twins and i talked for another hour or two until they left to go to their rooms. i sat down and started to work on school. if i wanted i could be graduating right now but i really didn't want to be stuck at home with nothing else to do, so i just work a few assignments ahead in each class. and since school is all year round here we get a lot more assignments than normal schools, we even get to go deeper into our subjects. sure, no summer vacation but i honestly preferred it like that so i didn't have to be home with my parents and we still got weekends off so that was a plus.

once i got bored of school i decided to pull out my phone and go on instagram, i go on the group chat with Boshca, Skara, and a few others from school. they kept saying things about a new girl coming to the school. they said they spotted a u-haul in town and saw a girl with what they presumed was her mother. apparently they went the way of the owl house. well, whoever is moving there i felt bad. Eda is known as the number one scammer of Bonesborough. she scams, is a thief, and has this odd obsession with owls. growing up i've always wondered what they did there. did they fry up owls? who would even sleep there?

but if there is a new student, let's just hope they don't get in my way. i just want to do what i'm doing and not have it be ruined.