CHAPTER THIRTY SIX: JEALOUS

Jide

Every new year ushers in a fresh breath of air, a hope for new beginnings and for some new resolutions which they throw out the window in the first quarter of the year. My new year resolution was to make sure every fight I got in was bloodier than the last to achieve deeper cuts and more blood and I planned to see it to the end. I had made a habit of getting into fights, it was my way of atoning for my sins, hoping one day a bottle would smash my head and end me. It was also a distraction from the pain I felt on the inside.

“What did you do this time?” Aunty Taiye asked furious as the nurse placed a band aid on my knuckles.

I got into another fight that earned me a deep cut on the forehead and some bruises. I had forgotten what I did to anger the men who beat me up. I never recall what I do to them as long as they gave me a well-deserved beating, I was fine.

“It is nothing” I shrugged.

“It is nothing? Look at you!” she exclaimed.

“I am fine”

“No, you are not and at this rate you would have visited all the hospitals in Abuja before April”

“Ouch” I winced as the nurse applied ointment on a wound on my back that reopened courtesy of the men who beat me up.

“All this because of a girl? I can’t believe this. There has to be something more. Is there something you are not telling me?” she held my gaze.

“I want to go home” I told her.

“You can’t leave sir, I am not…”

“I said I want to go home!” I barked and it startled the nurse.

“Leave him, if he wants to bleed and die, let him” Aunty Taiye said.

“But ma, he can’t leave like this” the nurse pleaded she seemed frightened by the statement Aunty Taiye made.

She was young and obviously new to the nursing world; it was probably why she was nice because Nigerian nurses are known for their rudeness and nonchalance and they are supposed to be care takers. Nigeria is a country dotted by ironies.

“Don’t worry, I will take care of him” Aunty Taiye gave her a reassuring smile.

“Are you sure?” she asked, concerned.

“Yes, go on before he bites you” Aunty Taiye urged and she left.

“Get up, let us go home. Your brother is waiting for you” she commanded and I followed her.

Ay unlike the others decided to stay back after the holidays as he saw I wasn’t in good shape. My cousins would have stayed back too but they had a lot to do, things bigger than my teenage tantrums.

When we got home, I sighted an unfamiliar car in the yard. It was a black highlander with all its features seeking attention like its owner: Chief Oluitan and true to my thoughts it was him. When we got inside, we met the devil in flesh perched on one of my couches.

“Femi, what are you doing here?” Aunty Taiye asked.
The only person that despised the man as much as I did was Aunty Taiye. She was aware of how he treated her sister and me.

“Good afternoon to you too Taiye” he rose up cradling his agbada to his side.

“Jesus Christ Jide. What kind of fight did you get into this time?” Ay rushed to me.

“I am fine” I limped to the nearest couch.

“You haven’t answered my question Femi” Aunty Taiye rolled her eyes at him.