CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR: AFFIRMATIONS

Jide

I walked past Ireti's office slowly to catch a glimpse of her unwrapping her gift, I wanted to see the smile plastered on her face when she opened it. The anticipation made me giddy.

I left for the office few minutes past seven to plant the flowers and gift box on her desk. Dunnie helped me in picking out the gifts, the dresses and shoes were all her. I just took a guess at her favorite chocolate and flowers and prayed she liked it.

She strolled in looking radiant as ever, I had seen her more than a thousand times now but each time she walked in the room she made my heart beat faster. I walked back to my office in a hurry so she wouldn't see me and waited few minutes before returning back to my watch man post.

When I got back her colleagues were teasing her and she had the smile I had hoped to see plastered on her face. Ireti was beautiful with whatever expression that laid bare on her face but when she smiled it was like the sun set on her face.

Seeing her smile made me smile, it made me satisfied. I was ready to start the day fully, I left her side to get a cup of coffee, when I got back to my office I saw Ireti from the window. I thought she had come to show appreciation so I beamed and opened the door.

"Ireti" I called.

She turned around, her eyes were teary and that smile she wore few minutes ago had been replaced with sadness. I glanced at her hands, she was holding my phone.

"What are you doing with my phone?" I asked.

"Sandra texted, she can start ante natal by the third month" she replied in a small voice.

I swallowed.

"You lied, you said she wasn't your girlfriend but she's carrying your child!" She exclaimed.

"Ireti I..."

"What am I to you? A plaything?" She yelled.

"Why would you even..."

"You really are a jerk. First you agree to play my pretend boyfriend. Why? For what? To deceive me?" She questioned.

"In my defense you allowed me play your pretend boyfriend" I defended.

"Oh wow, really" she snickered.

"Then why did you kiss me? " she yelled.

"You kissed me back!" I rose my voice, I was getting irritated by the fight and I didn't like it.

"You told me you liked me and said it was a joke. That's exactly how you play with someone's emotions Jide!"

"You also played with my emotions" I accused.

"How!" She shouted.

"You were busy philandering with that stupid Mike boy" I yelled.

"What! Is not like I'm your girlfriend, so why I we fighting like couples" she said and turned away to storm off.

"Because I like you" I shouted before I could have a rethink.