CHAPTER TWO: CURSED

I turned around slowly and there he was standing upright in his navy blue blazer that wrapped his broad shoulders and black trousers that covered his long legs. His brown eyes were intimidating, piercing through me. He scrunched his pointed nose for a minute as if in disgust. His pink luscious lips were parted slightly while his hands found solace above his stomach.
"In my office right now" he said

"Yes sir" I followed behind, shutting the door quietly as I entered. My heart beats were so fast and loud they could be heard down the street. He walked slowly to his black leathered chair while I remained standing.

"Good morning sir"

"What's good about the morning, Miss Alabi?"

I swallowed hard, it was about to rain cats and dogs. Today's storm was different than the previous storms that had occurred in the past six months. Today, I foolishly missed a presentation for a potential client.

"You had a presentation slated for 9am, am I correct?"

"Yes sir"

"What time is it now"

"9:30, sir"I whispered

" I can't hear you "

"9:30 sir" I repeated audibly this time.

"Give me one good reason, why I should not fire you, right this minute"

"Because I've a signed contract" I muttered.

'What was that? "

"Nothing sir"

"What's your excuse, Miss Alabi?" He asked, stretching his ebony hands on his table.

Should I just tell him about what happened, no you can't do that Ireti. Just say it was a family emergency. Technically it was.

"Miss Alabi, you seem to enjoy it when I repeat my questions or are you suffering from partial deafness"

"Family emergency" I blurted out.

"What?" He asked, brows furrowed.

"I had a family emergency"

"Miss Alabi, are you married"

"No sir" I answered confused.

"Do you have kids?"

"No sir"

Oh I see where he's going with this

"So what supposed family emergency would make you miss a presentation for one of our potential clients. What family emergency?. Mrs Obong is married and has three kids, three kids Miss Alabi but she does her work diligently and is never late to work. Is she some kind of superwoman or what"

Technically sir, all working mothers have super powers and I was only late to work thrice since you resumed here six months ago.

"I'm so sorry sir"

"Will your apologies bring back our client?" he asked gritting his teeth, trying to maintain his composure and not yell. The man had something with good composure and that stern look he wore everyday was his best friend.