CHAPTER NINETEEN: EUPHORIA

Jide

I stood before the first and last gigantic painting I painted of my mother on her last birthday, soaking up her virtual being. She was wearing the red dress Ay and I got her that year. She had a big smile plastered on her face. Her smile was genuine because her eyes smiled too. Growing up, I barely saw her smile genuinely. All the smiles she would give people were lifeless and void. A mere charade.

"Happy birthday mum" I whispered. A tear came down marking my cheek. I missed her. I missed her each time I saw a mother and her baby. I missed her each time I saw the color red. I missed her each time I perceived the piercing aroma of jollof rice. I missed her each time I saw Aunty Taiye.

I traced her face with my hands, Ay had her eyes and her beautiful nose, he probably got all his best features from her. I was distracted by the ring of my phone. It was Aunty Taiye.

Me: Happy birthday Aunty Taiye.

Aunty Taiye: Thank you omo mi. I hope you are coming this evening.

Me: Yes Aunty.

Aunty Taiye: Okay. Take care o

Me: Take care. Bye.

After my mother died, Aunty Taiye made sure all August thirds were spent with her. It became our tradition. Aunty Taiye made sure we had two cakes. One for her and one for my mum. She made us blow out the candles every year but after Ay left, it was just me and her blowing out the candles. Even when I was in London she called and made sure I didn't spend the day moping around. She preferred we celebrated my mother and her on their birthdays.

*************
At exactly seven pm I knocked on Aunty Taiye's door, the door opened to reveal a stunning Ireti in a blue flay dress.

What is she doing here and has she always been this beautiful or she grows beautiful each day?

I was taken aback by how pretty she looked and also by the fact that she was here in Aunty Taiye's house on my mum's birthday.

"Ireti" I called.

"Good evening Jide" she said my name and it made me feel giddy.

"What are you doing here?" I asked ignoring her greeting.

"Your Aunty invited me"

"What!" I exclaimed.

"I think she's still playing the match making game" she whispered into my ear. If only she knew how her being close to me affected me.

I moved past her and embraced Aunty Taiye.

"Happy birthday Aunty Taiye" I handed her her gift.

"Thank you, Omo mi" she embraced me again.

"What of Uncle?" I asked.

"He travelled oo"

"Good evening Brother Jide" Dunnie greeted and I responded.

************
" Ay and his fiancee will be coming to Abuja next week to meet his in-laws " Aunty Taiye announced during dinner .

"Great" I nodded.