CHAPTER FORTY FIVE: THE TRUTH

Jide

The first time I met Ireti was at sizzlers, ten years ago. She was sulking at a corner in a red dress. I thought she was the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. She seemed determined to drink herself to death that night. Something in me wanted to wrap my arms around her and soak up all her pain. Maybe it is because pain recognizes pain.

Before I worked up the courage to speak to her, Sammie was already by her side. Sammie was one of the guys I use to hang out with. We got drunk together and attended parties and that was it. His father was a politician, a senator. We were at sizzlers that day with some of the guys to celebrate my birthday. The plan was to drink, have some strippers grind on us, have sex and then leave whenever we woke up.

Ireti was definitely not one of the strippers, she was a person who wanted to drink her sadness away. That is the reason we all drink, we crave a relief from the pain, no matter how short lived it is. Yet, Sammie was bothering her.

“I said I don’t need a drinking buddy” she slurred as I approached them.

“Just go away” she tried to push him away and almost fell but I caught her and put her back on the bar stool.

“I really think you should leave her alone” I told Sammie.

“But why? She too set now” he tapped her bum.

That act enraged me, it normally wouldn’t because I did it too. I guessed it was the pain ties.

“Go away” she said placing her head on the table.

“Let her be man, we’ve got strippers coming” I pulled him and he reluctantly followed.

The strippers came in and the air was filled with weed and alcohol. Ireti was nowhere to be found. I assumed she had left because I sighted her making a phone call. I saw Sammie leave with one of the girls, that made calmed my tensed nerves.

I also retired to my room with one of the girls. I woke up few hours later in search of Sammie. I only put on my trousers because I was feeling hot. I found Sammie in his room passed out on Ireti. The sight hurt me and left for the bar in annoyance.

I got drunk and decided to drive my car, that was how my car crashed and lost few of my memories especially the ones from that night.

When Ayisa made me start therapy two years ago, I went because I was hoping it could help regain my memories and it did. Piece by piece till everything came together. There were still some missing gaps but most of everything from that night was sorted out.

It felt like a chunk of load was lifted from me. I wasn’t the one who ruined the woman I loved; I didn’t ruin everything I come in contact with. But a new guilt emerged replacing the previous guilt; I was once connected to the person who hurt Ireti. I should have watched her closely that night because Sammie was capable of horrifying acts.

“What did you say?” shock stretched her eye brows.

“I never raped you Ireti” I repeated, thankful for the moment to finally tell her.

“What do you mean? I saw you leave the room that night. I saw the scar. It was you” she pointed at me.

“Yes, you saw me leaving because I came to look for Sammie but found him with you. I didn’t know he had drugged you and led you to his room. I thought you followed him willingly” my voice broke a little.

“His father made everything go away once they realized you were searching for him”

“No, no, no. it was you” she shook her head.

I moved forward.

“Don’t touch me” she fiddled with her car handle in an attempt to open it.

“I am not sure, you should drive” I shut the door.

She slid down the car and sat on the floor.

I bent down “Ireti”

“You didn’t rape me?” she was in tears.

“I didn’t and I am so sorry I let it happen. I should have been there.” I held her hands in mine.

“Ireti” Ifeoma called running to us.

“What did you do to her?” Ifeoma pushed me off her.

“Ify” Ireti held onto her tightly and broke down.

It stung me. When I fixed the puzzle, I went in search of Sammie. I found him in prison. He had been charged with two offences, drug trafficking and the rape and murder of a certain Precious Ahmad. I had asked to see him, I wanted to talk calmly but couldn’t control my anger when he couldn’t remember Ireti. A punch helped him recall, a broken nose and bleeding lips made the guards throw me out of the prison.

“You should take her home” I said as I noticed a crowd forming outside.

“Babe” Ifeoma called to her husband.

Together they helped put Ireti in the car, pushing me away like I was some leper and they drove away with Ifeoma and Ireti in the backseat, her head on Ifeoma’s shoulder.
Dunnie helped dispersed the crowd before coming to check if I was okay.

“What happened?”

“The truth” I replied.

Ghen ghen! Excuse me what!! What a rollercoaster! All that and he didn't rape her? Abi watin. Drop your comments if you are as confused as I am 😩 and likes pls. 3/3 thank you all for sticking with me. Also I would like to let you know I will be releasing my spoken word EP titled Hopeless romantic on Monday on my IG TV. Follow me on IG p_r_a_i_z to get updates. Love y'all ❤️❤️❤️