chapter 8

A month had passed and ebony did not awaken. Sonic was too busy still leading the pack, his father yet to return. Amy stayed in the alphas' den watching the ebony with Sam.

The two had pleasant conversations, played a few games, but overall they were bored. The ebony didnt move, the roses did not wilt. The trail she left for sonic that day however did disappear. 

Sonic came back in and looked towards the ebony. "Still not awake yet?" He asked with a sigh. "Not even moved." Amy answered. They sat in silence for a while. 

"It's almost as if she isn't here." Sam finally broke the silence. "Like a shadow." Amy whispered. All of a sudden one of the flowers started to glow, beautifully. The three stared in wonder. "What happened?" Sonic asked. The three sat thinking for a moment. 

Amy jumped up wagging her tail. "What if the flowers reacted to a word! Or..maybe not.." she sat back down looking at the ground. "Don't be ridiculous." Sam commented. 

"It isn't ridiculous, in fact she is right." AngelDust spoke. Sonic and Amy remembered her from when they were younger. She was very old, but as an elder wolf she knew the legend the most. "A flower reacting to a meaningless word, you can't be serious." Jules stood next to her. 

The old wolf shook her head. "Meaningless, I would say not. The black wolf is hibernating and cannot be awoken so simply. In the legend it says she sleeps until someone speaks her name six times. We do not know her name, but I suggest if you figure it out only one may know." Angledust said. 

All the other wolves in the cave looked at each other. Trying to decide who would be best to try and learn the ebonys name. "If none wants to wake her, we must take her to her resting place until one day someone else may awaken her again." Angeldust spoke. "I think that would be.." Jules started but got interrupted. "Wrong. It would be wrong. I will take on the task. If no one knows her name, she will forever sleep. Surely we cannot allow for it to happen. We are for peace, allowing her to sleep and awaken at a later day may result onl in worse devastation." Sonic spoke, standing tall in front of his father. 

Jules with a sigh only nodded and left. "Be warned you will be the bearer of one sacred wolf's name. Guide her, lead her. Prove you can handle the task. Me and the others will go outside. Stay here until you awaken the wolf." Angeldust spoke and walked out. "Be careful." Sam said as he left. 

"Sonic you don't have to do this. It would be better for our pack if she were simply moved." Amy said. "And risk more wolves getting hurt by those thorns. No. I will lead this pack someday, I can lead this one wolf as well." Sonic replied confidently. "Sonic, your pride, you'll get hurt one day. Please reconsider." Amy requested with tears in her eyes. 

That day the ebony brough big trouble, Amy had lost both her parents, she did not want to see her future mate in the same way. Sonic simply shook his head. With that she looked down and left the cave. 

Sonic now alone turned back towards the flowers, one still glowing. "How am I supposed to know your name?" He asked, even if he knew he wouldn't get a response. "Rose?" Nothing. "Ebony?" Nothing. "Sky?" Again nothing. He listed off many names but never got a response.  He sat thinking for a while. 

"When did the first one glow? Oh Amy said something! What did she say?" He questioned himself. He must have been trying different names for hours before realizing he could try to pinpoint when the first glowed. "Like?" He asked. Nothing. "A." He said, again nothing. 'Mm what was the last word..' he thought. He jumped up with an Aha moment. "Shadow!" He said excitedly. 

A second flower began to shine. He now knew her name, and was ready to take full responsibility for the black wolf. He said Shadow four more times, all the roses glowed and sparkled. Glittering the petals started to fall off. The roses began to wilt. 

He quickly went and gathered the others. They ran in the den as the last petals touched the floor. The roses completely disappeared, almost like they exploded only leaving behind glitter. 

The ebony slowly opened her eyes, stretched and yawned. She looked around and growled at the others with her. It was almost as if she didn't remember them for a moment. Quickly they backed up. 

"Whoa! Chill out, it's me, Sonic." He called to her. When Ebony heard the name she stopped growling and sat down. "Congratulations, you calmed her down." Jules said, rolling his eyes. It was clear he didn't want the black wolf awake. "Blue wolf, I hope you are ready. You will carry great responsibility. I will stay with the pack for a while. In case I may be able to answer any questions." The old wolf said as she turned to leave. 

Jules also left, not wanting to stay in range of the black wolf. "Sonic, who awoke me?" Ebony asked. For some reason her talking was much better than before. "I did. You were asleep for a long time. A month honestly." Sonic responded. "A month is not a long time. I've slept longer but I appreciate your efforts." Ebony spoke. 

Amy just watched, confused. She and the rest had no clue what was in store for them in the future. The day was gone and it was night time. The three shared a meal and layed down for the night. 

Sonic had no clue what he had gotten himself into.