Chapter 17

Sonic ran all day and rested at night, this time without Shadow’s assistance. He ran for days following her path until he saw the end. In the same spot they first met was a red rose, marking the end. He reached it and looked at the red rose, he picked it and took it with him back to his pack. 

The pack gathered around Sonic, his father approached him. Sonic dropped the rose at his fathers feet and finally tears fell from his emerald eyes. His father hugged him. “It will be okay.” Jules said. “She wouldn’t, couldn’t stay.” Sonic said. “Why?” Jules asked, he like the others were curious. 

“She is not the only ebony wolf. She had been gathering other creatures with black fur and offering them a home.” Sonic said, picking the rose back up and walking back to his fathers den. As he entered he looked at the same spot Shadow had been for months before. Walking over to it he planted the rose carefully in that spot. “I promise, I will see you again.” He said as he laid down next to the rose for a well deserved nap. 

Everyday Sonic trained hard, worked hard. He made sure his pack and the woodland creatures prospered, just as Shadow wanted. He thinned the numbers out, sending off a group of wolves to be their own pack. Teaching them to respect the land. He would send a few wolves to other packs, sending them with the teachings to spread them through the land. Some would come back saying they saw the ebony wolf with red eyes walking around. Sonic hoped one day it would be their turn to have a visit from the wolf again. 

As the years went on, the roses on his mothers grave never wilted and he was told in stories as well as the new legend of the black wolf. When Jules passed, Sonic took the lead as alpha. He watched as many generations of wolves grew and passed, but he held true. He never took a mate, often claiming he already had one; he was only awaiting her return. 

One day he was sitting with his pack as they waited on a guest who would come and tell them a story of legends, one Sonic already knew by heart. A silver wolf walked into the middle of the crowd. Bowing her head before rising once again. “I am Snow, today I will share a legend with you. May I ask, is it a Myth or is it Reality?” She began, Sonic smiled. This reminded him of the time he was a pup, oh how so long ago that was. 

“Stay true, don’t be afraid. Shh be quiet as it is waiting. A wolf as old as time, is watching over the land. Black fur and eyes the color of a ruby. On its head is a heart, why it is there we do not know. Thought to be a wolf of pain and ruin, but instead offers peace. Of our peaceful land, we thank this black wolf along with a blue wolf. Shh be quiet, it is listening for one in need of help. One may see it, one knows it, but only one knows its name. A demon, a ghost, it has been called many things. It has been said any born with a coat of black fur it seeks, it will take it away to a better place. Oh black wolf have we not proven to you that the black fur is no longer feared? When will you stop taking the young ones away? We thank this black wolf, it has shown us the way to peace. We thank the blue wolf, for he tamed the night wolf. Without the blue, black would still rain ruin. Today you hear this legend, and it will be passed on for many years to come.” She bowed her head again and left without another word. 

Sonic smiled, he still was waiting to meet Shadow again. He would be around as long as she was, eventually they would see each other again. There was no way they wouldn’t. 

He would wait no matter how long it took, he still searched for the black wolves sanctuary. Only he never found it. 

Yay! Only one chapter left guys <3