Chapter 13

Shadow awoke to many sounds in the den. Slowly she poked her head out of the hole she dug and listened to some of the conversations. 

One conversation was between the Alphas and Amy. "I wish to no longer be betrothed to Amy." Sonic spoke. Crying could be heard, Shadow assumed it was Amy. "But...but Sonic you can't!" Amy wailed. "I agree. Amy is not a suitable mate for you. A wife to the Alpha would not behave in such a fashion. An Alpha looks out for the pack, not themselves." Jules spoke. Amy cried louder. 

Sonic was happy and Jules was relieved. As a young pup, Amy showed much promise. Now, she was no match for the job. He could only thank Ebony for helping show her true self.

The other conversations were mainly gossip, shadow paid no mind to those. She stepped out of her hole. "Good morning." She greeted them. Amy growled and quickly left. 

Jules and Sonic told her good morning. Sonic was about to say something to Shadow but Jules cut him off. "Ebony, join me for a walk. I would like to speak with you." He said. Shadow lowered her ears, worried he would ask her to leave. "Yes, Alpha." 

The two passed by Sonic, he gave a small smile and went to attend another business. 

As they walked, both were silent. That was until they reached the edge of the forest, on the same path they first met. She knew it. He was going to ask her to leave. Her ears pinned and head low. "Why are we here?" She asked, sure she knew what his answer was. 

"I wanted to ask you something but I needed privacy." He responded. Turning to look at the black wolf he could tell she was dreading whatever he was going to ask. "Yes, Alpha." She whispered.  

"Will you stay?" He asked. Shadows' head shot up and locked eyes with him. Tears gathered in her eyes. She took a step back. "Ebony, we want you to stay. For the pack. Here you are needed and wanted." He said. Tears fell from ruby eyes. No one had said that to her for so long, she shook her head and backed up again. "Reconsider, Ebony. Stay with us, with my son." He replied, worried. 

What happened next he did not expect. He was so sure she would say yes. Her head dipped down, tears still falling. "I...I… I cannot stay…" she whispered. He barely heard her but he was silent. He wanted her to say yes. He took a step forward. "Ebony…" he was cut off. "I can't stay, Alpha. So long I wanted to belong somewhere, but I couldn't. I..I…." That's all she got out before she turned tail and ran into the woods. 

"EBONY!!!!!" He called. Her emotions were overpowering her thoughts. She ran. She couldn't help it. She wanted to stay, but things would only get bad with her there. She ran and ran. Making sure she was far enough away she fell on the ground and cried. Cried because for once she was accepted but she knew by many years of experience she could not stay. Devastation she caused, yet they still wanted her. She stayed and cried for hours. 

-with Jules- 
He returned to the den alone. Sonic looked at his father but his father shook his head. Sonic's ears lowered and his head fell. He knew they would be lucky if Shadow came back. 

Everything was silent, no one dared to speak. It was like they lost a member of the pack, technically they had. No one was more upset than Sonic, to him it was not like losing his mother or other pack members. To him, it was losing someone he cared for more than anything. A lover, though he never admitted it. 

As night settled, everyone was asleep except Sonic. In the entrance of the den, he saw two ruby red eyes. He wagged his tail happily and bounded over to where the black wolf was. Once in front of her, he noticed she had been crying. 

"Sonic, I have come to say goodbye. I must leave. I am sorry I couldn't stay. May your pack prosper, take care of the land and the woodland creatures. To you, a black rose. A wolf as old as time, ment for devastation and war, thought to bring peace and love. You had done something no one else could. You stole the wolf's heart. Goodbye Sonic." She spoke. Sonic stared at her in disbelief.  

"Please stay, Shadow. We need you, I need you. I was going to tell you this morning, but I love you." He begged. Tears fell from ruby eyes again. Fog started to cover the ground and Shadow Howled. She howled a long sweet but sad melody. The howl woke up the whole pack, grief befell everyone. Sonic watched as the black as night wolf disappeared into the fog. 

But he wouldn't let that be the end. He would find her. He ran out of the den to start his long search.