Chapter 5: Communicating With the Notebook

"Well Tarantula," Marcy told her friend. "Today's the day." She sighed, "I really hope she's there..."

It was the next morning and the two were about to go to Gertie's house and hopefully find Sasha.

Tarantula nodded.

"Oh! And can you please hold my notebook and pencil? I don't want anyone to see them floating and get scared," Marcy suddenly asked, handing them over to the robot and chuckling slightly.

"Of course," Tarantula responded, taking them and chucking also.

"Alright. What's the plan for me to not be seen by the robots as we head to Gertie's?" Marcy asked.

"I guess we'll just stay in the shadows of buildings until we get closer? Once we're almost there, I'll get all the robots and guards around the house to leave and then we'll both see if Sasha's there?" Tarantula suggested.

"Sounds good to me," Marcy responded, giving him a thumbs up.

So that's what they did. They stayed in the shadows the best they could until they saw the house close in the distance.

Tarantula walked out and told the other robots and newt guards King Andrias needed them on the other end of Newtopia.

Once the cost was clear, Tarantula and Marcy walked up to the house.

"Um... I guess we should just knock?" Marcy questioned.

Tarantula was about to knock, but before he could, Marcy noticed eyes glaring at them from the window and she suddenly heard a female's voice say, "It's one of those robots. Don't worry, I'll take care of it."

"Wait. Tarantula. Be careful," Marcy tried to warn him.

But the door suddenly opened and Marcy saw a very familiar blonde-haired girl swing a pink sword at the robot.

Marcy ran in front of him worriedly and held the sword, stopping it like a shield for Tarantula.

"MARCY!" Tarantula shouted.

"It's ok. I'm already dead, remember? A sword can't hurt me," Marcy told him reassuringly.

Sasha stared at the sight in disbelief. That's when Marcy remembered Sasha couldn't see her. To Sasha, some unseen force was preventing her sword from moving any closer to the robot.

Sasha's face expression suddenly changed. Marcy saw grief on her face for a quick moment as Sasha whispered.

"Marcy? Did you say 'Marcy'?"

But then she saw anger. "What about Marcy!?" Sasha continued threateningly, pulling her sword back from Marcy and holding it close to Tarantula's face.

"Marcy's here!" Tarantula exclaimed, "She's right in front of you! I was just scared you were going to hurt her!"

Sasha gasped and stepped back a bit, lowering her sword. Marcy was sure she could see small tears forming in her eyes.

But Sasha suddenly shook her head and raised her sword again towards Tarantula. "No, she's not. You're one of King Andrias' robots. You're trying to get me where it hurts so I lower my guard for you to capture me or something!"

Marcy stared back and forth at Sasha and Tarantula worriedly until she suddenly got an idea.

"Tarantula! Quick! Give me my notebook!"

The robot quickly grabbed it and Marcy's pencil and gave them to her. Marcy then quickly turned to a blank page and began to write something down on it.

Sasha gasped again and this time dropped her sword in shock from seeing the floating notebook.

Marcy quickly held up her notebook for Sasha to read what she had put.

"Sasha! It's me, Marcy!"

Sasha stared at the notebook with her jaw dropped. She then put her hands on her head and started walking around in a circle, mumbling to herself, "No. No. It's not Marcy, Sasha. It's a trick. It's a trick. It's not Marcy. Marcy's not here anymore..."

Marcy thought hard and then finally wrote down some more things in her notebook. Once she was done, she held it out for Sasha to read.

"My name is Marcy Wu and yours is Sasha Waybright. You stood up for me and our other friend, Anne, when we were young and that's how we became friends. You tried to punch the bullies, but you missed every time, only for you to end up with a big bruise on your forehead from falling down so much. We were in a band called Sasha and the Sharps and you loved to sing and play your song, 'Heartstomper'. You were Captain Hook and Anne was Peter Pan when our school did the play Peter Pan. I was part of the stage crew and I accidently sent Anne flying all around the stage and out into the crowd because I was so distracted by my video game! It's me, Sasha! Please believe me!"

Once Sasha had finished reading everything, she stared at Marcy and finally let herself cry.

"Marcy!"

Marcy tried to comfort her but there wasn't much she could do.

Sasha quickly calmed down and wiped some tears away. "But, how!?"

"I'm actually not sure. I think I haven't gone to the afterlife yet because I died in another dimension," Marcy wrote and showed Sasha.

"And what about the robot?"

"He's a good guy. His name is Tarantula. He can see me because his eyes were designed to be strong enough to see even ghosts."

Sasha wiped her remaining tears away and nodded. "Come in quickly, before any other robots show up."

Everyone walked inside and Sasha closed the door behind them.

Gertie walked into the room and gasped, Grime following close behind.

"What is that robot doing in the house!? And why is there a floating notebook!?" Gertie exclaimed fearfully.

"Why are your eyes so red? Have you been crying?" Grime asked Sasha. He tried to make it sound like he was teasing her, but Marcy could hear actual concern in his voice.

Sasha glared at him, "Be quiet." Once again, Sasha was teasing him, but there was a bit of thankfulness in her voice as if to thank Grime that he cared.

Gertie cleared her throat, "Uh hm. Why is there a robot and a floating notebook in the house?"

Sasha took a deep breath and looked over at Marcy and Tarantula, "We have a lot of explaining to do."