Chapter 12

Danny's POV

"...And I want you to do page 409, numbers 1 and 2 for home work to be handed in tomorrow. Pack up!"

A collective groan issues from the students' mouths, but I ignore it, writing the work down on the whiteboard.

The students put their papers away, and when the bell rings, they scramble out of their seats, desperate to go home.

I prepare my board for the next day, and then grade papers for 45 minutes. Then I walk down the hall to my Clara's rearranged classroom. The door is open and music drifts out of the room, Clara's back toward me. The music is "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran. The kids love it.

I lean against the doorframe silently, remembering how Clara told me that this song made her think about us, how it made her cry at its sweetness.

She sings along, her had moving across the papers she is grading.

"And baby your smile's forever in my mind and memory."

She sways to the music, and I smile. She's gorgeous.

"I'll just keep on making the same mistakes

Hoping that you'll understand...

But baby now...

Take me into your loving arms

Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars

Place your head on my beating heart..."

I hear her sniffle between breaths, but she's had a cold for a few days now...

"I'm thinking out loud

We found love right where we are

Baby we found love right where we are

We found love right where we are..."

As the song ends, her pretty voice breaks, and she buries her face in her arms, her body shaking with quiet sobs.

I immediately walk up to her and put a comforting had on her shoulder. "Clara?"

She jumps. "Danny!" She swivels around in her chair. "Dont do that!" she wipes tears off her cheek with the back of her hand. Seeing my worried look, she adds: "Dont worry. It's the song. I cry every time I hear it. It makes me think of you."