❛ 𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟏𝟕 ❜

Insæi (v.) to see within and to see from the inside out

in • sæ • i

Kai ran a hand through his hair in relief

It had been seven hours since they had heard Draven's voice and right as he was about to contact him again, he spotted the guards amongst the trees.

Elvina's fracture had swollen and she could barely move without a lot of pain so Kai just sat there with her until the guards arrived. They were swift and fast. Elvina was taken to a carriage where she was properly positioned. It took them a while to get her inside, especially because of her slaps and other violent acts whenever she was in pain.

But finally, Kai joined the back of the carriage and sat down with a heavy thud right as they started moving.

He gave Elvina occasional glances to make sure she was alright only to see her staring at him.

"What?" he asked. She shook her head and looked away, her gaze laced with a confusion Kai couldn't decipher, "What's up?"

She sighed, "Nothing, I just feel relieved we're back safe."

He clenched his jaw, his eyes darting to where her shoulder was swollen like a goddamn balloon. "Not exactly unharmed though," he mumbled quietly and she winced as the carriages jostled her around. Kai made a move to help her but the glare she gave him had him sitting back down.

"According to Draven, we should be back at the palace in four to six hours," he said looking out the back window. She nodded and rested her head against the wall of the carriage, gently closing her eyes and letting out a breath as if her pain would leave with the air released.

"The healers back at the palace can help you with that," he said quietly. Shamefully. Kai should have taken better care of her, "I'm sorry you had to go through that."

Elvina shrugged. At least the best she could with one arm, "This isn't the first time I've broken a bone so it's okay. Plus, everything's a learning experience so, eh."

Kai gave her a wry smile before putting his forearms on his knees and leaning forward, twiddling his thumbs. It was silent except for the thundering of hooves and the occasional movement of things in the carriage. Some swords, random storage, and other boxes that Kai didn't bother to care about.

Eating only berries and nuts for breakfast, lunch, and dinner had him firstly craving proper food, and secondly, drained of energy. He couldn't tell where they were in the forest unless he wanted to die.

Every single power had a baseline, a line that you shouldn't cross if you wanted to live. Power draw could be thought of as taking water from a well. Eventually, there would be a limit to which once you hit, there was no turning back. KAi was nearing his limit so he needed to conserve power.