18

Alcina played with her hands as we made our way toward the Beneviento manor. I placed my hands over top of hers. A distant gaze turned to me and softened the worry. A small smile crossed my face.

"You have nothing to worry about, my love. I'll be back with you and the girls before you even know it." She said nothing, but her shoulders sagged. "Would some blood help?"

"No...no...not this time."

"I'm sorry that there isn't more I could do."

"You could choose to not go."

"Alcina..."

"I know, I know." A frustrated sigh escaped her lips. "I just...I still wish that I was consulted with first." I nodded. Her eyes went to the window again. An uninterested hum vibrated through her throat. "Isn't that your friend?" My gaze followed hers. Nikolai slowly walked in a daze toward the manor.

"Can we pick him up?"

"Whatever you want to do darling."

"Nikolai!" My head popped out of the carriage as it strolled to a stop beside him. Unfocused eyes turned up to me slightly dazed. "Do you want a ride?"

"No, I'm fine. The walk is a great stretch on the legs."

"Are you sure?" His eyes were off. Not in a bad way, but it worried me, nonetheless.

"Yeah, I'm sure!" I slowly nodded as I popped my head back into the carriage and continued onward. He faded with the fog.

"That was odd," I commented softly.

"Don't worry too much about it, darling." Alcina's hand fell onto my thigh. My eyes turned back to the beautiful vampire. My head slowly nodded. As we got closer to the manor, the anxiety in my chest grew. When we stopped in front of the manor, I gulped. Alcina placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. I stared back into golden orbs that glowed their concern.

"Alcina?"

"Hm?"

"I know I'll be okay, but I'm scared." She slowly nodded her head. The worry only grew between the two of us. The tension was so thick that it could have been cut with a knife. "Can I have a final kiss before I leave? Please?" Her hand slipped from my shoulder and slithered behind my neck. She drew me into her lips. Her lips were soft as they pressed against mine. I moaned into her. My hands gripped at the fabric of her dress. Our kiss turned into a make out session as her arm slithered around my waist and pulled me onto her lap. I so badly wanted to do more, but there was a job that needed done. I let go of her dress. My hand pressed against her chest and slowly pulled away. "A-Alcina."

"I'm sorry," she breathed against me. "I'm sorry, I got carried away."

"I love you. I'll be back."

"I love you too and that's what scares me most. You not coming back."

"Only hell can keep me away." Her eyes glowed as they stared deeply into mine. No falsehood showed, only honesty. She slowly nodded her head. "I will come back. I love you. Your heart is mine along with your bed." A smirk crawled across her face.

"I love you too. And your heart is mine along with your blood. My human." I chuckled as we pulled further away from each other. We smiled at each other as we got out of the carriage. As we walked up to the manor, the smile fell. Only fear and anxiety replaced it. When I stared up at Alcina, she mirrored my expression. Her gaze was transfixed on the door. I knocked against it and waited. Only moments passed before Caiden answered. It seemed I was not the only one worried. The smile on her face never met her eyes as she stared between the two of us.