2

"Elena." Penelope's yawn was long and dreadful as she walked up to me. I hummed as I turned from the vase I was dusting. A yellow, puffy rag laced with dirt stopped in my hand.

"Good morning Penelope," I exclaimed quietly as my hand continued to my work.

"You are being requested to follow the servant of Beneviento. She is stopping by today to grab some books for Lady Donna. Apparently she has an entire romance section that is being sent over. The servant is supervising the list that is supposed to go out." I slowly nodded my head. That was the woman that saved me my second day at the castle. She showed me the wine room and covered for me. A delighted smile crossed my face.

"Oh, that would be lovely! When is she due to arrive?"

"She should be here any moment. Here, give me your rag. I finished my morning chores. Just go and greet her at the door." I nodded as I handed my rag over.

"Thank you Penelope!" I chimed to her as I sped walk to the main entryway. By the time I made it there, the door rung through the halls. I opened the door. The servant of Beneviento stood on the other side. Her dark hair fell from her shoulders as warm brown eyes stared back at me. She wore a suit which fitted her perfectly. I grinned at her. "Welcome to Castle Dimitrescu!"

"Hey! I was worried about you!" The woman said as she entered the castle. "I'm glad to see that Lady Dimitrescu didn't kill you." I chuckled lowly.

"No, not yet" I said quietly.

"So, I am here to make sure that the books are ready to be shipped? At least that is what Angie told me as I was being chased out of the manor by her." I chuckled as I nodded. "Don't laugh. That doll with scissors is a psychopath on the loose."

"I will take your word for it." I motioned her with my hand. "Follow me...erm..."

"Caiden."

"Right, Caiden."

"Elena, right?" I nodded. "So, how is serving this castle?" A few terrified maidens drove right past us in a hurry. The sound of flies caused me to groan. Oh no. "What is that?"

"OOOOOOHHH! Fresh prey!" Cassandra and Daniela turned from swarms and into human forms right before Caiden's eyes. They had stars in their eyes as they stared at her hungrily. Caiden inadvertently stood closer to me as I sighed.

"Girls, she is not our maiden. She belongs to House Beneviento." The girls were less and less scary the more that I worked with them. Ever since Daniela made a great segue way, the girls treated me somewhat better compared to the other maidens. They did not chase me for real harm. Only to scare the hell out of me on occasion. Their stares turned from hunger to interest as they looked Caiden over.

"You work for Aunt Donna?" Cassandra asked.

"How are you still alive? You mean Angie has not killed you yet?" Daniela added. Caiden gulped as she slowly nodded her head to the both of them.

"Please, excuse my rudeness, but why do you care?" Caiden asked. The girls giggled as they stepped closer to her.

"No one ever survives Aunt Donna and Angie! They normally are dead within the first two weeks!" Caiden said nothing, but gulped and nodded. I slowly stood in between the three.

"Girls, she is here for work. Please, let her be." The girls grunted their disapproval before they frowned and ran away in swarms. I took in a deep breath as I turned back to Caiden. Her eyes were as wide as saucer plates. I chuckled at her expression. A lot of maidens had that same expression recently. I guided her along and she followed closer behind me. "Working at the castle is not all that fun, I'll admit. I think I ticked off my lady. She has refused to see me the past few nights."