chapter nine

As we walked in the doorway, I looked around the house. From the scent of alcohol and marijuana in the air, and the crowd of people that Aurora was seeding us through, I could already feel myself getting a bit dizzy from the lights. She led me to the backyard, greeting people as she went. I recognized all kinds of people. Music artists of all genres, actors and actresses, influencers, Tiktokkers, and more; all people around my age or a bit above. If I were more social, I'd split up from Aurora to introduce to all of the people I'd fangirled over in the past. I'm not to that point yet, as much as I wanted to be.

No.

Needed to be.

Before I could even comprehend it, we were walking up to my favorite artist of all time - Soyeon. I'd known her from when I discovered her making covers on YouTube a good four or five years ago and I've been hooked ever since. She writes, raps, sings, dances, and produces her own music. She's a brilliant performer and when she finally blew up on Tiktok for her song 'Obsessed,' so was everyone else. She put out her own music video for the song with money she raised and money that her parents matched her and ever since, she's been world-famous. Now she'll be eighteen in a few weeks and I don't think I could be any prouder.

Aurora has known that I've liked her since she was underground, and the fact that I was nearing her presence was beyond any feeling I'd ever experienced. The two became friends not that long ago and she told me she'd introduce me if I wanted, but I was too nervous. I didn't even go to any of her shows because I was too scared. Embarrassing, I know.

"Hey, Soyeon, this is my friend Shuhua. You know her, right?" She said, pushing me forward a bit. I was stunned. Soyeon looked even prettier in person. She was glowing. Legitimately glowing.

"You're Chenghan's sister, right?" She asked me, holding her hand out for me to shake.

"I'm surprised you know who I am," I swallowed hard, returning the handshake.

"You were just trending on Twitter, girl. "Mystery Yeh daughter joins the spotlight." Are you serious right now? Did you not see any of the headlines about you?" She held onto my hand for a little bit longer than I'd anticipated, but I wasn't opposed to the gesture. In fact, this was pretty much a dream come turn. "Plus, Aurora has told me so much about you." She smiled and grabbed my hand again, "You have really cute hands, by the way,"

I blushed, "Thank you, I'm a really big fan of yours," I chuckled nervously once again. "I never went to any of your shows because I was too scared."

"Why were you scared? I would've loved to have seen you!" Soyeon grabbed my hands. "I promise I don't bite."

"Hey, Shuhua, I need to go talk to Yuqi really quick. I'll be right back," Aurora said, nudging me and walking away, leaving the two of us alone with one another.

Song Yuqi - Aurora's girlfriend of 5 years. They met in the 7th grade and have been inseparable ever since. Despite not going to the same school and living in different cities, they made it work. Known for her deep and husky singing voice, she's topped the charts every so often throughout the past year.

Soyeon and I stood awkwardly in front of each other for a moment before she began to giggle. I looked at her for a moment before asking, "What is it?"

"I'm sorry, you're just really pretty and I have absolutely no idea how to talk to girls," she laughed even harder than before. "And you'd think that being tipsy and high off my ass would mean that I'd be more confident, but no."

I laughed and said,  "You're one of the most fierce and confident rappers topping the charts now, and you're telling me that you can't talk to girls? I've been the biggest fan of you for like, four years now;  I never would've guessed that. You're one of the best performers of our generation and you're not even eighteen yet. You won three fucking Grammy's just a few months ago and you still don't know how to talk to girls?" I laughed once more. "There's no hope for me, then."

Soyeon began to blush, flicking her long-blonde hair behind her shoulders. She took a drink of whatever the cup was in her hand and passed it to me, biting her lip. "Do you want a taste?"

I nodded at her and took a sip of the other side of her cup. I licked my lips and looked down at her, passing the cup back, "This is good." She nodded to me, indicating that she wanted me to drink the rest, and I did so diligently. "It's fruity," I giggled, feeling the drink burn in my chest and stomach. Not eating that day was a mistake, because now I was hyper-aware of the shaking in my legs. Suddenly I felt a whole lot more confident. "Do you want to go get some more with me?"

"I would absolutely love to," she said, an even bigger smile than before appearing on her face.

I think I might need to delete my fanpage for her.