chapter one

"You mean, she actually paid attention to you in this dream where you suddenly decided to become famous again?" Aurora asked me, throwing a random pack of pencils into her cart, Yep, you guessed it. Back-to-school season. Aurora had finally decided to take time out from her 'busy' schedule to spend time with me. I was appreciative but slightly annoyed. Every year, we always go school shopping together on the same day but the day finally came where my best friend chose her girlfriend over me.

"Yup," I nodded. At this point, I didn't even care if she figured out I was bitter or not. Maybe if she were able to figure it out, I could fool myself into thinking that she actually cared.

"Five months is her longest stay, you know.." Aurora trailed off, "Maybe it's a sign."

"What are you insinuating?"

Aurora put back the package of highlighters in her hand. "You should do something to get her attention."

"What? Like get a haircut?" I was now officially scared. "Sell my soul to the Devil?"

"I'm just going to put this as bluntly as possible," Aurora started.

I'm terrified.

"You need a makeover," Aurora finished.

Wait, what?

"Huh? Why? I look fine?"

"You should get bangs like I've been telling you to. Dye your hair and take care of those split ends. Get your eyebrows done and maybe your nails done. Something to get her attention and maybe become friends with you again," Aurora smiled at me. "You could finally spend some of your parents money like your brother always does and get new clothes too. Why not, right?"

I have no idea what to think.

"I - I don't know. You know I don't like attention that much.." I trailed off. "My social battery gets drained so easily and you should know this."

"You like Sujin's attention, though, right?"

"She'll never like me. Not like that, at least." Maybe I was making excuses. I wasn't even sure, at this point. "Plus, we've hardly talked since we were fourteen and we had that falling-out because I was jealous about her and my stupid brother."

"Okay, don't do it for her. Do it for you. It's our junior year! Why not embrace your inner celebrity? Your brother embraced it when high school started. Now, high school's going to start mattering," Aurora sighed and grabbed one of my hands, caressing the back of it with her thumb. "We're just now entering the prime of our teenage lives and you have so much to show to the world and to our school."

I retracted my hand and hugged myself awkwardly. "I just can't imagine myself going to A-List events and seeing flashing lights at every street corner I turn on. It just isn't me."

"I know it isn't you, but it could be if you gave it a chance. Your parents are smart people but not smart like you. Stepping into the spotlight means a chance to connect with your family. How are two celebrities and their famous son going to connect to their daughter who stays in her room studying all day? On top of that, I can drag you to events with me." Aurora continued to look at the office section while I stood at the cart, trying to find any excuse to not consider what she was saying to me. "You know I'm right. You're doing just thing where you avoid eye contact and hide in a corner just so you can think about reasons to not consider what I say." She knows me too well.

"I hope you realize that we can never stop being besties. You know too much about me and if I were to ever take you up on what you're saying, you could easily expose me as being a fraud and we can't have that." I said the two of us bursting into laughter at my statement. But once our laughter died out, she gave me the look. The look your mom gives you when she comforts you after she grounds you and you've been crying, but you're still grounded. "Fine, I'll think about it."