How To Live With Idiots

As Thor held me in his arms, there was a knock on the door. Steve stood in the doorway with a slight smile on his face. 

"I hope I'm not interrupting anything," he said walking in. I pulled away from Thor gently.

"No. But I don't think you have been properly introduced. Uncle," I said turning to address Thor. He puffed up his chest proudly which made me chuckle. "This is Steve Rogers, otherwise known as Captain America. He's a VERY good friend of mine." Steve blushed a little and cleared his throat reaching his hand out to shake Thor's. Thor took his hand and shook it vigorously.

"Is this the one?" he asked looking back at dad. Dad nodded. Thor looked back at Steve. "Just be sure you take care of my niece. If you harm her in any way, you will beg for death." Steve and I just froze. Thor patted Steve on the shoulder and walked out. Dad got up chuckling.

"I like him," he said as he walked past us. Steve just looked at me.

"Are we that obvious?" he asked me, a shocked look on his face.

"No, I think my father has a big mouth," I laughed. "Come on let's go see what the others have gotten up to. I think Tony and Bruce are still in the lab." I took his hand in mine and led him out the door towards the labs. The one that had been designated as Bruce's had the door opened and we could hear conversation coming from inside it. As we walked in, we saw Tony poke Bruce in the side with a mini cattle prod like device that gave him a small electric shock.

"Ow," Bruce complained lightly, rubbing his side.

"Hey!" I cried out to Tony.

"Are you nuts?" Steve asked him letting go of my hand and walking towards Tony.

"Jury's out. Man you really do have a lid on it don't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, huge bag of weed?" Tony asked, scrutinizing Bruce with a look.

"Is everything a joke to you?" Steve asked.

"Funny things are," Tony shot back. Tensions were rising and I could tell this wasn't going to end well.

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship isn't funny. No offense, doctor," Steve said looking at Bruce.

"Seriously Tony, lighten up a bit. I'm sure Bruce didn't sign up for you to poke and prod him. Trust me I know how it feels to be a science experiment, I don't think he wants to feel that," I said. Steve looked at me shocked. I had never really talked about what HYDRA did to me and even he was not fully aware of what had happened. That needed to change, i needed to trust him more if our relationship was going to work.

"No it's alright. I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things," Bruce said, giving Tony a slight smirk.

"You're tiptoeing big man. You need to strut," Tony said, ignoring the fact that Steve and I were still there. 

"And you need to focus on the problem Mr. Stark," Steve spat at him.

"You think I'm not? Why did Fury call us and why now? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all the variables," Tony said with a hint of frustration in his voice.

"You think that Fury is hiding something?" Steve asked.

"He's a spy. Captain, he's the spy. His secrets have secrets. Ask your girlfriend, she could probably tell you," he said waving his hand in my direction.

"If you seriously think Fury tells me anything more than I need to know you are more delusional than i thought," I replied crossing my arms and rolling my eyes at him. Steve laughed and wrapped his arms around me in a quick hug.

"Dr. Banner, what do you think?" Steve asked letting go of me and turning to him.

"A warm light for all mankind. Loki's jab at Fury about the cube," Bruce stated. "Well I think that was meant for you Tony. Even if Barton didn't say anything, it was all over the news."

"You mean the Stark Tower? That big ugly-building in New York?" I asked as Tony shot me a death glare.

"It's powered by Ark Reactors, self sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for what a year?" Bruce asked Tony.

Ok now we were getting somewhere. It was kind of making sense now. It was my impression that SHIELD wanted to use the tesseract for renewable energy. Maybe SHIELD was trying to take a page out of Stark's book with it. That would be something.

"I'll have to look into that once my decryption program finishes breaking into all of SHIELD's secure files," Tony said popping a blueberry into his mouth with no concern as to what he had just said.

"I'm sorry, your what? Please tell me you did not hack SHIELD Tony," i snarled angrily. My hands started to glow at this point and Steve had to take me by the arm gently. I looked at him and he shook his head gently his eyes full of compassion as he tried to get me to calm down. I gently removed my arm from his grip and stepped away from him slightly. I didn't want to hurt him if I lost control, which at this point I was trying really hard not to do. 

"Jarvis has been running it since I hit the bridge. In a few hours, we'll know every dirty secret that SHIELD has ever tried to hide," Tony said, seemingly unconcerned by the danger he was in at the moment.

"Tony you are unbelievable," I spat at him. "And you wonder why no one wants to work with you or why no one wants you around. I'm so glad this is a one time thing because then I will never have to see your face again and I will make sure that Fury knows I refuse to work with you ever again." I said storming out.

"I'm going to the training room Steve, find me there," I called to him as I left. I knew I only had a few minutes left until I lost control and I needed to make sure I wasn't around anyone when that happened. I barely made it to the training room before I fell onto my knees and i released all my power and in doing so released all of the anger, frustration and sorrow I had been feeling over the last few days. It was a good thing the walls were reinforced steel because if they hadn't been there would have been holes in the walls. Still there were small holes in some of the training mats and the holes were smoking slightly. I sat there on my knees for a second catching my breath before I heard a voice.

"Well there goes six months of progress," I turned to see Nat standing in the doorway. "Want to talk about it?"

"Stark," I spat. "He's hacking into SHIELD's files. And he has absolutely no idea what he is going to do to so many of the agents and their personal lives. He doesn't care about anyone but himself and its sickening! God I can't stand him. Ugh I'm so glad I will never have to see his stupid face after this assignment."

"You feel better?" She asked bending down to look me in the eyes.

"Yeah. Nothing's burning right?" I asked looking around.

"Nah, a little smoke but no fires this time so that's good at least. I heard the explosion two floors down though. So you are still seriously loud," she said playfully.

"How am I supposed to deal with that idiot? You know for a genius, he really is stupid," i said pushing myself up from the floor and walking toward the wall.

"Just walk away like you did. You could have blasted him. So you showed some emotional maturity at least," she said standing up herself. 

"I'm going to have to deal with him after this mission again aren't I?" I asked looking at her.

"Probably," she said shrugging. Just then my phone pinged with a message. I looked down and saw that it was Steve. He wanted me to meet him back in the lab.

"Steve wants me to meet him back in the lab, something must be up. He knows that I really shouldn't be around Stark right now. Come one let's go," I said grabbing her by the hand and pulling her out of the room and back toward the lab.