Behind The Mask - Michael Clifford

Flaming red hair, soft, pink lips and a complexion as pale as snow, a truly beautiful combination. I was drawn to him. From the moment I saw him, I found myself wanting more of him. The attraction was mutual, for he had been sneaking glances at you all night. Neither of you knew who the other was, it was plain blind attraction. The strangers identity concealed by a small black mask lined with gold trim.

He was dressed head to toe in black; from his dress shoes to blazer and tie. The only dash of colour came from his hair and his too-pink-to-be-natural lips—a huge contrast against the darkness of his clothing and paleness of his skin.

***

When I first arrived at the annual pre-Halloween Masquerade Ball, I was lead to my table where I was seated with strangers. What persuaded me to come alone was unknown, I just knew that I had to attend. Call me stupid but I had a feeling tonight was going to be special. Whether the feeling I had was related to the stranger or completely unrelated was unbeknownst to me. The evening would have to play out before I could tell if something was indeed going to happen or I had ate some bad sushi prior to my self-proclaimed fortune telling.

I sat in my seat conversing with a lady in a shimmering red dress and an abnormally high up-do about the decor of the banquet hall. It was dark and elegant, setting the mood for this cool October night. That’s when I saw him. He was walking across the dance floor, weaving in between the dancing couples. His mask covered his eyes, which appeared to be green from what I could see through the material. He seemed to feel my eyes boring into his side, for he turned to meet my gaze. Blushing, I immediately tear away from the stranger. I felt his eyes on me several times throughout the night. I couldn’t find the courage to talk to him, even with my identity hidden, I wasn’t able to put on any sort of facade. It wasn’t until I had a few glasses of wine coursing through my veins that I was able to walk to his table.

He was deep in conversation with one of his mates whom he seemed to know rather well. It was only until his friend pointed towards me that my presence was acknowledged. “Oh, hello.” He says, his voice and sensual. He had no shame in blatantly raking his eyes up and down his body, meeting my face with a smile.

"Hello."

"Is there anything I could do for you, miss?" He adds, raising an eyebrow at me.

All of a sudden I found myself flustered and tongue tied, unsure of what to say to the red-headed stranger. “I just wanted to say hi, I suppose.” I force out, my breath hitching as I did so.

"Well, hi."

"I’m sorry." I mumble, quickly dashing away from the man, my ring slipping off my finger and clashing to the floor without my noticing. He picks up the gold ring and fiddles with it, shoving it into his pocket until he gets the opportunity to see her again.

"What was I thinking." I groan to myself, slamming my head against the dining table.

"Are you alright, dear?" The lady with the high up-do asks, patting my back soothingly.

"I just made a fool of myself in front of someone."

"Oh, dear. How is someone supposed to like you if they’ve never seen you at your worst? Making a fool of yourself isn’t the worst thing you could do. You could’ve spilled a glass of wine on him, now that would be embarrassing."

"I could have done something worse, that is true."

"Don’t be so hard on yourself. Who knows, your awkwardness could have swept him off of his feet!"

"Or made him terrified for his life."

"Everything will be alright, darling. Smile, be confident and have another glass of wine."