Chapter 19

When I first ran away six years ago, at fifteen, after an argument and wandered around for two months, he was not amused when I came home. He still does his best to keep me at home and give me a position like Myles, despite the fact that I've been traveling for months on end for years now.

Despite my frequent absences, my name is well-known thanks to my father and my youth. As I walk past the tents, heading to the black main building on the right side of the camp, looking for something to fill my stomach, the residents greet me with smiles.

Here and there, I raise a hand, smile back, or say 'hello,' only to quickly move on. The older generation especially has a habit of asking me if I have a job or a relationship yet, neither of which are on my agenda for the foreseeable future.

Just as I'm about to throw away the remnants of the flame leaf, I spot a group of vampires in the clearing in front of the main building. Many men are shouting and pointing at something I can't initially see because of the building and the trees.

After tossing the butt to the ground, I walk around the main building until I see an enormous black dragon standing in the middle of the circle. My breath is taken away at the sight of the magnificent black dragon. The creature is nearly two and a half meters tall, its scales gleaming in the sunlight.

My knowledge of dragons is extensive, allowing me to immediately identify the dragon as a Nazu. There's only one type of black dragon, at least of this size.

Dozens of vampires have gathered around the dragon, all interested in what it's doing here. I push the shouting and pointing men aside until I'm standing right in front of the dragon.

The large black eyes look around in panic, while the creature shows no signs of aggression. The unease radiates from the creature, its paws stomping in the grass and its wings half-folded.

'Kill it!'

'Send it away!'

'Attack it!' I see a man next to me pull a knife from its holster and point it at the dragon. The dragon makes itself larger, opens its wings, and lashes out. A few vampires are flung through the air, landing dozens of meters away in the grass.

I stand still, watching the creature's strange behavior. Why doesn't it fly away? Why doesn't it attack? There's no sign of injury.

I quietly place my hand on the arm of the man next to me and push his hand with the knife back down.

If the dragon isn't injured and has no intention of attacking, it's protecting something.

The dragon continues to move its wings uncertainly, mainly because more idiots are pointing their knives at the creature.

With slow, controlled steps, I walk past the dragon, in front of the vampires. I examine the dragon carefully, looking for what it's protecting.

'Attack it,' Myles's words pass by me before my eyes fall on what the creature is guarding, or rather, who.

'No.' I stop the vampires and their knives before they can harm the creature.

'It's dangerous,' Myles protests.

Without a word, I walk back to the dragon's head. The black eyes follow every movement I make. Without hesitation, I slowly reach out my hand towards its head. It seems to hesitate before curving its head towards my hand and sniffing my skin.

Dragons have a very keen sense of smell and intention. They can feel and smell what intentions you have with them and never attack without reason.

'Novak, what are you doing? That beast is extremely dangerous.' The dragon's eyes shift to Myles, who has now come to stand behind me.

'Ignore him, trust me,' I whisper to the dragon, hoping it will allow me. The dragon's nose passes over my hand one last time before it lowers its head as a sign of trust.

A smile plays on my lips before I push off the ground and land gracefully on the black scales.

An unconscious woman, not much older than twenty, lies on the black scales. Her black hair initially covers her face until I gently push it aside. A swollen and bruised face becomes visible. Her lip is split, her cheeks sunken. Her eyes are closed, her hair disheveled, and she is barefoot. The dress she is wearing tells me she is of high status. The black dress is adorned with diamonds and lace. She is not dressed like a night rider, as far as I can tell.

I place my fingers on her neck to feel her pulse, even though I can hear it. It is weak, as is her breathing.

'Novak, what are you doing up there?' I ignore Myles and place my hands under her knees and back. With the woman in my arms, I stand up, jump off the dragon's back, and look at Myles, whose eyes are following the situation in surprise. His gaze shifts from me to the woman and back to me.

 His gaze shifts from me to the woman and back to me